Hope this is the right area for my CNC question

Lameiii
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD1

Hope this is the right area for my CNC question

Post by Lameiii »

At a wood show in St. Louis I saw a demo of a "Digital Wood Carver" machine. It caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. The price is very reasonable. I currently have a Romaxx WD-1.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

kzeyus
Vectric Wizard

Re: Hope this is the right area for my CNC question

Post by kzeyus »

Looks like you already have a 'Digital Wood Carver'. How was this machine at the show different? Are you talking about a carvewright? If so, looks like you've already gone well beyond the carvewright.
Ken Zey
Rogers, AR
http://www.CedarSlabSigns.com
http://www.lookoutmercantile.com
Shopbot PRS Alpha 72x144

Lameiii
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Lameiii »

My Romaxx is a different brand of machine. The Digital Wood Carver is sold direct from the manufacturer or "Woodcraft" Stores.

Jim

Tundraman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Techno Isel 3'x4' Gantry III

Post by Tundraman »

Jim,
Is there something about the Romaxx that you don't like or are unhappy with?

I have never used either a Romaxx or a CNC Shark from Woodcraft but I looked into the Sharks a few years back. They seem like a descent entry point into CNC work but many comment on trouble with not being a very rigid machine. I also was recently researching the Romaxx WD-1 felt it was an exceptional value based on what you got for the money. It includes ball screws on all axis and appears to be a very well built. I would think it would be a more rigidly constructed machine. I have never seen one but that is my impression.

I was planning to find a Romaxx last summer when I was looking for a different machine to upgrade to. But I wanted a min 24x36 cutting area and ideally 48x48 and felt the size was a little smaller than I wanted. Then I found a used machine that I bought so I never did see one.

Sorry for the ramble-
My thinking is your current machine is at least equal to if not exceeding anything available from that store, your next step is getting or mastering the design software. What software do you have? How is it working for you? Have you been happy with things your making? It there something you feel the machine you saw can do that your's is unable to do?

I have VCP 8 and it has amazing capabilities and Aspire even more. Seeing the things shown on these pages continue to make me strive to better take advantage of what the software can do and eventually move up to Aspire.

As shown in the gallery of this forum there are some wonderful projects done with Sharks all the time and I would think your machine should allow you to do the same.

Just one man's opion,
Scott

Lameiii
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Lameiii »

Scott,

I don't have any serious problems with my romaxx except that recently it had not been cutting level when cutting from front to back. I believe this may be because of humidity. My machine base and spoil board are both MDF. I'm changing to a new spoil board since it's been several years since I set it up. I'm using Aspire but still have a lot to learn about it's capabilities. The only reason the other machine caught my eye is because it has the 4th axis for a very reasonable price.

Jim

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you don't have any problems with your current machine & as someone has said the other machines are no better than your current set up why don't you look into adding a 4th axis to that. Quite easy to do & there seem to be plenty of places selling them.
That's what I would do, unfortunately I can't add a 4th axis to my machine without doing some major surgery. Simply don't have enough z height to be able to add one.