Spoil board protection

GJHall
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 48x96

Spoil board protection

Post by GJHall »

I am almost ready to get my spoil board and have seen where it is suggested to coat it with something. I will be using 2 sheets of mdf thick as my table will be a little too low for my router.

I was wondering what you would recommend as it will be humid here a lot. Should I do both sides of the boards? Maybe just the edges?

Thanks in advance for your comments. Can't wait to get fired up soon.

Gary

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Spoil board protection

Post by IslaWW »

Gary..
If you coat it with something you will have to recoat every time you surface. You also remove an unknown benefit of MDF... its stiction. The fibrous fuzzy surface actually helps hold parts.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

willmorgan
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by willmorgan »

Gary,
As mentioned above, I wouldn't coat the flat surfaces with anything. Normally you will surface your new board on both sides and I also used small amounts of glue to hold the MDF down to the vacuum board. I did however use wood glue on the edges which helps keep the suction coming from top to bottom instead of coming through the sides.

Will

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

it will be humid here a lot
You can use shellac. Seal the sides, but try it with no coating on the top for the reasons cited in the other threads. If you are new to CNC then you may be resurfacing your spoilboard a lot. :shock:
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

GJHall
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 48x96

Post by GJHall »

Thank you,

I am not using a vacuum table as of yet.

I will coat the sides and see if that will do the trick. My concern was if the mdf would curl and bend. I think I will have to try it and see.

I know I will be resurfacing as a newbie. The other problem is my table is too low for the router to reach properly. I was going to put a sheet of plywood for the base and was given 2 sheets of 1" thick mdf. This would get me back up to my height I think I need. That was why I was asking about both sides.

Getting ready to start cutting soon.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Gary