Help with router and shark...Hope this is the right place

jpatton
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Plus

Help with router and shark...Hope this is the right place

Post by jpatton »

So I've got a cnc shark hd..My first router was a porter cable, but the spindle key kept snapping, so I replaced it with the Bosch series..I burned 3 out in less than a year. So the wife got me a Dewalt 618 series which the NWA web site says its compatible. Um, I can't get the router motor to fit. The motor fits in the slot, but the clamp will not tighten enough to keep the router from moving. It's so tight, the bolt is almost screwing into the plastic. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone using the Dewalt that's working for them? I thought about duct tape on the router, but I would think running the router for hours on end, the tape would melt if the router got hot..Appreciate any info or help, because I really don't want to fool with another Bosch router...Thanks in advance..

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: Help with router and shark...Hope this is the right plac

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi,

I don't have a Shark. You might be able to get better information on the Shark forum.

But what I would do is if you have a bracket that is close to working make a new one. You should be able to create a bracket that is very close to the original one but make the area where it clamps a little larger. Since I don't have the same machine it's kind of hard to know if that would work with proper clearance etc.

You can but the acrylic and it's easy to cut.

By the way I've been using a Porter Cable router for 6 years and just recently replaced it with a new one. I've gone through several sets of brushes but never had a problem with it.

Good Luck,

Mark

jpatton
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Plus

Post by jpatton »

Thanks for the info. I had read reviews about how quiet this thing was and plugged it in just to see..It's quiet,,,,but has a serious lightening storm going on inside the cap- I don't think thats normal, so I'll be taking it back anyway. That can't be safe...

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Be sure to loosen the 2 bolts closest to the split holding the router clamp to the Z carriage before tightening up on the router. Then re-tighten the hold down bolts.

I got an aluminum clamp from dixiebillet.com No slippage.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Post by nicksilva »

I think it's universally excepted that the shark clamp is crap. It's already been suggested that you check with dixiebillet.com
for a good metal one. I got a couple and they are rock solid.
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

Sorry you've had problems with the Bosch routers, that's all I run on both of my cnc routers and use in my shop. I use the 1617 variable speed model and have yet to burn one up. I also had to replace the clamp with one from dixiebillet. Something else I've done was placed a small computer filter on top of the router and used toothpicks in the two top holes to hold it in place. You'd be surprised to see how much dust it actually catches.

SamPris
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by SamPris »

Try adding ¼x28 set screws at 9 and 3 o'clock facing the bracket. This should stabilize router from drifting up & down, besides the HDPE is a snap to tap and add set screws.

Frank

Larry Stobbs
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark & Axiom

Post by Larry Stobbs »

If it is the Bosch Colt Router I will tell you to run them at full speed or they don't last. I have a CNC Shark (The white one that I don't think they make anymore) and I cant tell you the number of long run times I have had on some of the stuff I make (intricate carvings). I ran the Colt at about 80% power and they ran forever but they ended up with some run out problems so I switched to the DeWalt 611 but have had issues with them not holding up at all. I will tell you to check the clamp size, when I switched from the Bosch to the DeWalt router I ordered the new bracket from NWA and it wouldn't clamp at all. I contacted customer service and they sent me the correct one. In the mean time I improvised and used a strip of the black grit tape they sell for using on stairs to make them anti slip and that worked really well with the only down side being that it will mark up the side of the router if you take it in and out but if all you use the router for is the CNC machine a few scratches on the housing wont hurt anything. If your bracket is pretty close to working you may be able to simply cut the slot on a table saw where the two sides meet which will create a little more of an opening so they can be pulled together more tightly. The plastic will cut pretty easily just be sure you remove the metal hardware before you do this.