Pressure foot suggestions please

farmertom
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Pressure foot suggestions please

Post by farmertom »

Hi,
The situation is I cut 3mm plywood with a 1/16 inch bit and sometimes the design calls for pockets into the ply. The ply is 20 x 30 inches. The problem is the ply does not lay flat on my table, so sometimes the pocket depth is cut wrong. I don't think I can use a vacuum table as most of the cuts are through cuts, and besides I don't want to hear a vacuum running for hours. I'd like to get away form screwing down the ply also. So I thought I would try a pressure foot. The one I have my eye on is in one of the photos below. I am using a Porter Cable 7519 router and the mount has a place to put a rod through. I thought I could fabricate something to attach the rod to the pressure foot.

So my question is has anyone else done this and can you share some photos of it with me? Has anyone use this pressure foot, does it work well? Do you recommend anything else?
Thanks for the help!
Attachments
My router
My router
The pressure foot
The pressure foot

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Pressure foot suggestions please

Post by ger21 »

Check out this thread at CNC Zone starting at post #230:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-r ... ost1629482
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

farmertom
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by farmertom »

Thanks for your reply.
I saw that pressure foot from AXYZ, but that is a little to rich for me. Also I was hoping springs and not air cylinders would be sufficient to hold the foot down. Anyone used the pressure foot I have in mind. Does it do the job? Thanks

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

I also use a lot of 1/8" and 3mm plywood. Double sided tape works really well. Just add enough to hold it down.

Another method is to turn the piece over with the center on the table, then push down and hold down the corners/edges.
Sometimes I use a 1/4" x 2" strip of oak along the raised edges to hold the entire length to the table.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale