Which 4th axis?

Druid_ian
Model of CNC Machine: CNC6040

Re: Which 4th axis?

Post by Druid_ian »

there is a good series on the CNCnutz youtube channel by Peter Passuello here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ3OtA ... jcaxkOfr6w where he makes his own 4th Axis
he also has made the plans available well worth a look

Ian

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

Gary, thanks again. I'll keep the chart for future reference.

Thanks Ian. I watched both his videos and I'm back to not having any metal machine tooling to make anything. If I did have the equipment I would have already completed this project. I'm really looking for parts that I can assemble easily without the need for finding a machine shop to make me parts (I live in the boonies). His videos did give me another option though and more food for thought.

I got a reply from Probotics and I got the impression they weren't interested in selling me a rotary axis since I don't own one of their machines. They told me Mach3 with my Gecko 540 controller and my power supply would handle their rotary (duh!) but they couldn't offer support or tell me how to wire their 8 wire motor. I'm sure I could find a wiring schematic and figure out the wiring and wouldn't want their support. If I screw up it's my problem, I just want to buy the parts. Time to do some more reading.

Anyone use one of those Chinese made rotary's? Most of them I see are designed for small cnc machines and don't appear robust enough. Any problems with backlash or holding torque and are you happy with it?

The quest still continues.

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

ohiococonut wrote: I got a reply from Probotics and I got the impression they weren't interested in selling me a rotary axis since I don't own one of their machines. They told me Mach3 with my Gecko 540 controller and my power supply would handle their rotary (duh!) but they couldn't offer support or tell me how to wire their 8 wire motor. I'm sure I could find a wiring schematic and figure out the wiring and wouldn't want their support. If I screw up it's my problem, I just want to buy the parts. Time to do some more reading.
I can understand Probotix not wanting to offer support when using a Gecko 540, but I can't see that you would have any issues as long as the Gecko board can handle the motor.
Here is the 400oz motor spec sheet. http://www.probotix.com/specs/HT23-400-8.pdf
I'm using these 400oz motors for my X&Y axis and I'm using the 280oz for my Z.
I'm also using the 280oz motor through the 6:1 reduction on the rotary axis.
I'd just treat the transaction as a buy it now.

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

ozymax wrote: I'd just treat the transaction as a buy it now.
ozymax,
That was my thought as well.
Thank you so much for the help in my pursuit. I'm going to continue to do some more searching until I feel like I've exhausted my resources.

anthropod
Model of CNC Machine: XZero ViperXZ 30x24

Post by anthropod »

Did you decided on a solution? I too have a Geko 540 with an open axis. I want to get a 4th axis so I can do some turning.