windows 8.1 issue

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

windows 8.1 issue

Post by Xxray »

Just got a new computer running 8.1, installed aspire and started a project, after a couple minutes it randomly disappears and closes, no warning or error messages at all.
Tried a few more times, same thing, just disappears and closes as if I closed it myself. Anyone experience similar issues ? New Dell 8700, top end components, all drivers are updated.
Doug

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Re: windows 8.1 issue

Post by ssflyer »

No idea, but try checking the event logs - they may point you in the right direction.
Ron Sloan

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I also have a dell 8700 with w 8.1 and Aspire.

I do not experience any issues
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

I've used Aspire on two computers with 8.1 without problems. Have you tried reinstalling the software? Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

A quick Google search shows that there are other people who are having the same issue with other programs but it's rare. Unfortunately no-one seems to have a solution other than the usual re-install Windows that I could see. Only common factor seems to be laptops.

Like the others who have posted I've been running Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 since launch with no issues at all with the Vectric programs.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I once had a similar problem using Windows 7 on my laptop that powers my CNC. I turned off the screen saver and changed the power settings to never turn off the display or put the computer to sleep. I leave it plugged into power so not to run off the batteries. That solved the problem.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I should say, this is a desktop. Don't think reinstalling windows would be much of an option, even if I wanted to.
Dell doesn't ship computers with recovery discs anymore, I'm guessing this is industry standard now. [My last computer, purchased in 2003, had install discs for everything on the computer, including the OS].
I guess what you are supposed to do is create a disc image on a backup drive, and that is your recovery disc. So if I reinstalled from that, I'd have exactly what I have now.

I think the problem is admin related, when I just click the shortcut it crashes and disappears with the greatest of ease, scrolling through fonts for instance almost always kills the program.
I tried out of curiosity going to the program folder, right clicking and choosing "run as administrator", and I tried all sorts of crazy things to get it to crash and it wouldn't. So I dunno, odd thing is I am the sole user of this computer and my account is admin.

This has happened with 2 other programs, the installs for diablo 3 and starcraft 2 both crash and disappear no matter what I do.
Talked with blizzard support, they said shut down antivirus, firewall and a litany of other things including downloading the game from their site and installing from the desktop instead of disc, but the install programs crash and disappear without an error report sure as night follows day, just like aspire did.
Tried running these as admin as well, so far no joy, I'm about to give up on it.
Doug

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

If your Dell has a recovery partition (which would probably be hidden) you could try the update and recovery options under the PC settings.
Ron Sloan

daniellyall
Model of CNC Machine: emco pc mill 30 1200 x 2400 x 200 router

Post by daniellyall »

just a note on 8.1 nothing to do with this I went to see my computer block today he said he had someone come in they where lock out of there 8.1 computer it took him 5 mins to hack it, if you password is the same as your email for logging in to the computer. it can get hacked from anywhere all they need is your email address and password to do it, just a warning sorry for interrupting