Chatter

woodwurker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Blurry Customs Ironman 24x36

Chatter

Post by woodwurker »

Greetings all,

I hope this is a simple question...I am having an issue with either diagonal or radius cuts transitioning either into or out of a vertical or horizontal or vise versa. I am having a slight bit of vibrations only at those times....any other time, it cuts like glass with no chatter at all. I am using a a nearly new 60d v-bit bit still get the chatter.
I have attached an image of the problem.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Mike
J&M Carving Creations
Vectric VcarvePro 7.0 and PhotoVcarve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Chatter

Post by Adrian »

Check for play in your pinion gears/leadscrews. I get that whenever my pinions need adjusting. The play is so tiny it can be barely felt but it's enough to cause chatter marks away from the vertical and horizontal.

The other thing it could be is part hold down not sufficient and/or pushing the tool too hard.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Also the bit should be as stubby as possible and pushed into the collet as far as possible while maintaining a good setup. Tighten the collet.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

woodwurker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Blurry Customs Ironman 24x36

Post by woodwurker »

Thanks for the replies Adrian and Leo,

Crazy part about this whole thing is, the ball screw nuts are tight. I checked the angle that the balls screw nut screws into....all tight. I do not place side tension or deflection on the bit at all....or very limited at best. The bit is seated within the precision collet and I am usually utilizing 1/2" bits.

Could it be that the bracket that holds the y ball screw and nut has slipped....how tight should the ball screw nut be?

Mike
J&M Carving Creations
Vectric VcarvePro 7.0 and PhotoVcarve