Can anyone help me with this ?

CSEBOLT
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Can anyone help me with this ?

Post by CSEBOLT »

Finish left some material??

I ran this with Aspire. I used a large flat bottom bit to rough out and after both tools were done there was a little material left. Both tools were set up at the same time and I calibrated my Z before running.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1394119246000.jpg

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Can anyone help me with this ?

Post by PaulRowntree »

CSEBOLT wrote:Finish left some material??

I ran this with Aspire. I used a large flat bottom bit to rough out and after both tools were done there was a little material left. Both tools were set up at the same time and I calibrated my Z before running.
What do you mean by 'set up at the same time' ? I set Z=0 manually, but have to do them at each tool change.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

CSEBOLT

Post by CSEBOLT »

The toolpath has an option to select a different bit for the larger area so the two different bits were set up in the same footpath. I too calibrated the Z for each one before running.

CSEBOLT

Post by CSEBOLT »

I should say that I am using the "touch-off puck" to set the Z.

Is it possible that the internal calibration for the puck is not correct?

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

It looks like a regular pocket toolpath. I would just use one flat bottom end mill and let it go and not do a tool change in the middle of the cut. I don't think you will lose any time when you consider the time it takes to change the tool, and you will eliminate any possibility of a Z zero error in the second tool. One more thing, the second tool could have possibly slipped in it's collet...joe

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

CSEBOLT wrote: Is it possible that the internal calibration for the puck is not correct?
It is possible that the height that you (or the controller) uses is not the correct height of the puck, but the error should be the same for all tools; this would make all cuts too shallow or too deep, but not tool-dependent. That said, you could check to see if your puck&controller are reproducibly finding Z=0 to within a few thousands of an inch just be setting it once to Z=0, moving up and away, then coming back to Z=+0.001 : should be no contact. Then drop it to Z=-0.001, and it should have registered the contact. Repeat the probing (including X & Y excursions) until confidence in puck & controller are restored.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

My guesses:

This could also be caused by the material flexing upward as you cut away part of it. If this is still on your table, press down on the material near one of the "too deep" cuts. Any give at all will cause this problem.

A second possibility is that the material was not tight to the table to begin with. An end mill will cut to depth "x". A large bottoming bit will force the material down more and result in a cut that less than the endmill.

Paul Z

Strat
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ CNC / HHC

Post by Strat »

I noticed you have IQ machine, I also have the same. I can only measure and run one tool at a time, not two as you indicated, unless both ops. are the same tool. Now a silly question. When you received your machine, did you check your table flatness? I had to cut my spoil board flat before I can make anything. Make sure you hold down the puck tight on Z, and don,t touch the spindle anywhere on the way down to the puck. Hopes this helps. I really like my IQ

CSEBOLT

Post by CSEBOLT »

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice. I added a piece of melamine over the factory spoil board but I did not check it for level so that is a great suggestion.

Thanks again. I too love the IQ.