Router Spindle wearing out too fast

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Re: Router Spindle wearing out too fast

Post by gordread »

Has anyone got a spindle running with a Shark?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Does the Shark have RPM control/automatic switch on for the router? If not I don't see why fitting a spindle should be a problem software wise. The spindle speed is controlled via the VFD box so it's usually just a matter of entering or selecting the RPM (or HZ scale equivalent) you want and pressing the start button.

Weight and what the Z is capable of lifting is another matter though.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Fleming wrote:Installed a water cooled spindle a few weeks ago. Just did a carving that took almost 14 hours and the spindle was hardly warm :o
Noise factor cut in half also. By the time you re-wire to 220V, buy the pump and radiator for the water cooled system, make new holders for the spindle, buy a 12 volt transformer for the pump, hoses... you will be out closer to $500 BUT IT IS WORTH IT.
Hey Paul,

How bout a detailed how-to?

Angie

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Angie,
I will try to accommodate as we have 2 fellow CNC'rs who have asked us to help them convert. I will take notes and post those but it will be several weeks by the time we order parts and such.
Paul
Cobblewood Carver

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Paul,

Thanks.

Angie

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Suppose it depends on the individual but you don't need anything elaborate for a water cooling system, mine is very basic but works OK. Took an old 25 ltr container that was lying about cut the top off, popped a submersible pond pump in, just a cheap one but it does have an 8 foot head so no problem pumping up to the machine. Installed the hoses & power cable for the pump through the screw on container lid & once that was done stuck the 2 bits back together.The machine has a small tray running along the back of the gantry so the hoses just run along in that & are cable tied to keep them in place. The drum or container is filled with a water/anti freeze mix & just sits under the machine. Simple on off switch for control although I could run it through the breakout board & mach3 if I wanted to.

basil135
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Pro Plus

Post by basil135 »

Fleming wrote:Angie,
I will try to accommodate as we have 2 fellow CNC'rs who have asked us to help them convert. I will take notes and post those but it will be several weeks by the time we order parts and such.
Paul
Hi,

Just wondering if there had been any progress on this?

My routers are lasting about 6 months, and as such, I am now looking at a water cooled spindle as a replacement.

Cheers.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Water Cooled Spindles.

We have installed 2 of the water cooled spindles, 1 on my Joe's CNC which uses Mach3 and 1 on my brother's Shark. Both have been operational for a number of months with no issues but they are NOT used continuously such as in a commercial shop so I am not sure about the life. Below is some basic information about what we did. Be glad to try and answer any specific questions.

We used 220 volt 1.5KW WATER-COOLED SPINDLE MOTOR & VFD DRIVE INVERTER such as found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5KW-WATER-COO ... 0676620657

There are a number of sellers of these units and most are priced around $320 - $360 for both the spindle motor and the VFD drive inverter.

We used PC cooling systems to cool them. These are closed loop and typically include a small radiator, 12 volt fan, and 12 volt pump, with some hose. Examples are: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NZXT-Kraken-X31 ... 43cd31eee4. These are very common and come in many configurations.

Total cost will be about $500-$600 depending on how much it costs you to set up a 220 volt circuit. We did not try to make use of the Shark's control system or Mach3 to operate the units. They are switched independently. Make sure your switch is DPDT so that both 110 feed circuits are switched simultaneously. The wiring from the controller to the spindle will need to be rated for the volts and amps of the unit and probably shielded if run parallel with other wiring through the CNC.

You will need to get longer tubing and different size fittings to adapt the cooling systems - Lowes had most of what we needed.

The VFD controler does have to be set up and programmed initially - it is easy to have the spindle run backwards!

It is very quiet and hardly gets warm even during a 14 hour carving. Since most of the noise comes from the bit cutting the material there still will be noise!

You will need a 12 volt power supply and switch to run the cooling system. Amperage depends on configuration.

Paul Fleming
Cobblewood Carver

basil135
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Pro Plus

Post by basil135 »

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the reply. You have basically confirmed my thinking.

I will be putting a 1.5kw water cooled spindle in my Shark.

The only other query I have at this point, is regarding the weight of the spindle itself.

They appear to be quite heavy, and I am wondering if you have noticed any issues, especially with the z-axis drooping at all?

Cheers

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Professional done home built.

Post by signmarketingman »

has there been any issues with a 1.5 k spindle stalling under a load?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I have a Shark Pro Plus, and changed to a DeWalt router, plus a SuperPID drive. The router is much quieter with the drive, plus I can run it at lower RPMs when I wish. One has to make a minor hack to the New Wave controller to turn the router on and off. I suspect the same would be necessary for a spindle.

The minor hack: Inside the New Wave controller is a solid state AC relay that turns the power to the router on and off. Get one of these: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009AQN9CQ/r ... TE_3p_dp_1 , mount it over the existing relay in the controller with the input in parallel with the existing relay. Then connect the output terminals to the SuperPID drive RUN and GRD terminals A similar connection should work with a spindle drive.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard

i just ordered a dual relay from ebay for just a couple of bux..

It controls 2 devices. I wonder if that type relay would work in the shark controller?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Dual relay: More information is needed. If this is a solid state relay similar to what I posted, it possibly will work. But only if its output is compatible with the spindle controller.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Basil135 - not sure about the total weight but it is not much different than the 690 router I had before. It has not been an issue.

SignMarketingMan - I have not had any stalls of this unit - I think it calculates out to just under 3 HP - remember it is operating at 220 volts. I mostly do hardwood type carving, some aluminum machining, and have not had any issues.
Cobblewood Carver

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard

thank you for that answer.

I have used up 4 router motors. I feel the next cutter motor wil lbe a spindle. I pray they last longer