Router Spindle wearing out too fast

wonderpilot
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, WoodcarverCNC 24x39

Router Spindle wearing out too fast

Post by wonderpilot »

I have been using a CNCShark with a Bosch Colt 1hp router. The Colts last about 1year and two months. I'm not into commercial operation and it isn't running 8hours a day, But, it's not unusual to run some design & carve projects for 4 hours at a time. Especially when I enlarge the project. I burned another one up two days ago and just could'nt bring myself to buy another Colt. I bought a small 1.5hp small Dewalt this time. I made uo shims to make up the .080" difference. Ran a four hour run on a large Boy Scout Emblem and it ran it fine. It also wasn't straining so bad.
Now, after that long winded explanation, Here, Finally, is my question: Would I be better off getting a water-cooled 2.2kw router and would it last longer. Just been looking at the Chinese imports with a matching inverter. Anyone have any experience with this imported stuff? Of course the dewalt was made in china also. The ones I was looking at were in the $350. to $450. range :roll:
Any help of direction would be appreciated! :roll:
Wonderpilot

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Router Spindle wearing out too fast

Post by Adrian »

Once you've had a spindle you'll never go back a router IMO.

I've had mine since 2009 and it's still going strong. Much, much quieter than a router. On my old machine I got through a router every six months.

The only thing I would say is that I think a 2.2kw spindle would be overkill for a Shark (not to mention the weight). I think you could go for one half that power and probably not push it.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

I use a router, but on the 'Zone it seems that people have had more success with the Chinese spindle than the Chinese drives. Hitachi drives seem popular and well-liked.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Jerry In Maine
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts CRP4848

Post by Jerry In Maine »

I have the water cooled Chinese 2.2 kw spindle and inverter and one thing I like over the router is that its quiet! I have two pet birds as my shop buddies and often they're both napping as the machine runs. You also don't get the downward air blast that routers often have coming off their cooling fans. Max speed on mind is 11400 rpm @ 400 hz with tons of torque.

Check buildyourcnc.com if you're looking for a non-eBay vendor. If the spindle dies for some reason you send it back to them in Texas and not back to china.
I'm just a number in a great design

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Installed a water cooled spindle a few weeks ago. Just did a carving that took almost 14 hours and the spindle was hardly warm :o
Noise factor cut in half also. By the time you re-wire to 220V, buy the pump and radiator for the water cooled system, make new holders for the spindle, buy a 12 volt transformer for the pump, hoses... you will be out closer to $500 BUT IT IS WORTH IT.
Cobblewood Carver

wonderpilot
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, WoodcarverCNC 24x39

Post by wonderpilot »

Bunch of great information. Thank you for your time. I will continue to pursue this and get a spindle soon. The cost of 500. to 600. isn't an issue.
Just don't want the new Dewalt seizing up before I get reset.
Thanks again. any brands, size etc would be great.
wonderpilot

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I bought my machine used. I know the history of my machine since it was new and whan I bought it, there were no more than maybe 100 hours on it.

I have had it since 2007. I have run it for 6-8 hours steady on occasion. I am a hobby worker mostly - not running constant.

Since 2007 - no issues.

Perske 2hp air cooled.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Perske 5 HP 3-Phase air cooled running since 1995 here. Had to get a bearing job 2-3 years ago.

Once you have a spindle, you'll wonder why you put up with a regular router so long!

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

The router worked well but I would never go back to the router dark side again.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

The Shark is a slightly different issue to the machines that run Mach3 etc.
I found it too difficult to work a spindle with the Shark due to everything being proprietary to NWA.
I have just bought this one Image awaiting delivery.
Hopefully that will last.
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

wolfie... I ran across automatic tool changes for the kress line the other day and thought it was very interesting, the link is posted below. I like the idea because it is an affordable option for people with Kress spindles. Look on google for video for Kress ATC, or automatic tool changer, and you can see a video in action.

http://www.sorotec.de/shop/product_info ... 00-v2.html

Roy

bolingerbe
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by bolingerbe »

I agree with what Paul has said about the Chinese drive "VFD". When I built my MechMate I used the 2.2kW Spindle and the Chinese Drive, and it caused a lot of RF noise. I had limit switches being falsed and intermitting E-Stops in Mach. After extensive trouble shooting and grounding, I purchased a Hitachi VFD and have Mach controlling the speed and everything works great. I would look at the air cooled spindle because building the cooling section of the water cooled spindle does take some thinking mainly the pump section..

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I bought my machine spares or repair & & converted using modern drivers & running mach3. The machine came with a porter cable router which was on it's last legs so got replaced by a Chinese 2.2kw water cooled spindle & VFD. If I had kept the router or replaced it with another one the same I would have had to have worn ear defenders when the machine was running, the spindle is so quiet they are not needed.
Don't have any personal experiences to draw from but have read a lot & the water cooled models are preferred to air cooled as the air cooled spindles can sometimes cause problems if the spindle is run for prolonged periods.
As for interference this can normally be eliminated by using proper shielded cables, ensure you only earth them at one end or you will set up ground loops.

If people with shark machines think the 2.2kw model is a bit big then maybe look at a 1.5kw or even 1kw if they do one.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

kilrabit wrote:wolfie... I ran across automatic tool changes for the kress line the other day and thought it was very interesting, the link is posted below. I like the idea because it is an affordable option for people with Kress spindles. Look on google for video for Kress ATC, or automatic tool changer, and you can see a video in action.

http://www.sorotec.de/shop/product_info ... 00-v2.html

Roy
Thank you Roy
It's on my wish list. Imagine getting a 5 tool ATC for around $1000.-
Amazing
I have also ordered the PlanetCNC setup.
Won't be much left of the Shark when I am finished :lol:
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

martin54 wrote:I bought my machine spares or repair & & converted using modern drivers & running mach3. The machine came with a porter cable router which was on it's last legs so got replaced by a Chinese 2.2kw water cooled spindle & VFD. If I had kept the router or replaced it with another one the same I would have had to have worn ear defenders when the machine was running, the spindle is so quiet they are not needed.
Don't have any personal experiences to draw from but have read a lot & the water cooled models are preferred to air cooled as the air cooled spindles can sometimes cause problems if the spindle is run for prolonged periods.
As for interference this can normally be eliminated by using proper shielded cables, ensure you only earth them at one end or you will set up ground loops.

If people with shark machines think the 2.2kw model is a bit big then maybe look at a 1.5kw or even 1kw if they do one.
Martin
It is not the spindle that is the problem,it is the proprietary software for the Shark :(
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit