Using electric motors

AndyMS
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Omni 1325

Using electric motors

Post by AndyMS »

I need some help with an idea I have. I want to be able to create a layered design where the front layer is fixed, but the back layer rotates. The best example I have is to have fixed text or a logo out front with a spinning baseball behind it. I want the text to appear to be floating, so having it mounted to glass or plexi wouldn't be ideal.

In my mind, it would have to be mounted to a fixed shaft in the center that runs though the center of the spinning portion. Does that make sense? Anyone got ideas?

AndyMS
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Omni 1325

Re: Using electric motors

Post by AndyMS »

Please move to the Aspire general forum.

I'm a moron.

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I'm not fully sure I'm sure what you're after, but hey... Why should that stop me!? :lol:

Here's a search for "Low RPM Motors" on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... rpm+motors

Was I close?

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

A fixed shaft supporting the stationary part would work, depending on size, weight and weight asymmetry. The get the spinning bit to go it would use the centre shaft as a stationary axle, like a bicycle wheel. I think the motor would need to be mounted on the rear (hidden) shaft support plate, with the motor axis off the rotation axis, and then use a belt drive to rotate the spinner.

If you can size the non-rotating shaft to use std roller skate bearings, they are cheap like borscht.

Standard Drive Products is one easy source of small belts and the like ... http://www.sdp-si.com/
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I want the text to appear to be floating, so having it mounted to glass or plexi wouldn't be ideal.

How do you see yourself mounting the letters ? Couple of pictures of what you have in mind would be helpful, either something along the same lines or even a hand drawn sketch :lol: What sort of size are we talking about ? Guessing not to big lol

You will have to mount the letters some how, possibly on extending rods, either one per letter or less if letters are joined together or you use a script font where the letters are joined together naturally.

Don't rule out using acrylic to mount the letters completely, a solid acrylic shape may not give the look you want but a lot of that is down to viewing distance, the further away from it you are the less noticeable the acrylic will be so the more the letters appear to be floating. Another way using clear acrylic is to use a thin acrylic rail or in this case an acrylic ring to mount the letters to.
You then just need to figure out how to mount the whole thing to your fixed shaft which could be done with 2 or 3 rods or you could machine the mounting arrangement along with the acrylic ring all as one part. Another way might be to use small stand off locators to fix the ring of letters to a separate piece of material fixed to the static part of the shaft.

Difficult to give more detailed advice without knowing more which you may not want to divulge if you are looking to manufacture these :lol: :lol:
A lot will depend on just how much time you want to put into making them & what sort of price you are prepared to pay each.

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

If the spinning part is going to be enclosed in some kind of frame you can cut teeth on the outside edge and mount a motor in the base with a matching gear to drive it. Depending on how you make the frame you could just have it sitting on the gear with no center shaft. You could do something similar with cutting teeth on the inside of a shallow pocket on the back of the spinning part if you don't want a frame going up and over, this way you could have a smooth outer edge and the motor would be holding it down. I don't know if I'd want little fingers around that though, seems like it would be difficult to avoid a pinch point.