spring loaded engraving tool

muddy0409
Model of CNC Machine: 3020

spring loaded engraving tool

Post by muddy0409 »

Hi all,
Anyone got any suggestion for where to get a spring loaded engraving bit holder with 1/8 inch shank. I have seen a few 1/4 inch, but nothing smaller.
Thanks.

todd_aust
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Re: spring loaded engraving tool

Post by todd_aust »

http://www.2linc.com/engraving_mini_1-4.htm

I have just ordered their 3/4" 'standard' one, awaiting delivery. Price is somewhat hefty, but I'm hoping to get a fair bit of use from it. If you are in the US you will probably have an easier time than I did purchasing it, 2linc dont accept non US CC's or paypal...

ccamember
Model of CNC Machine: cnc shark

Post by ccamember »

todd_aust wrote:http://www.2linc.com/engraving_mini_1-4.htm

I have just ordered their 3/4" 'standard' one, awaiting delivery. Price is somewhat hefty, but I'm hoping to get a fair bit of use from it. If you are in the US you will probably have an easier time than I did purchasing it, 2linc dont accept non US CC's or paypal...
What will you be using it for, what type of curve surface. Interested in seeing how it works for you.

Frxdy

Post by Frxdy »

A search on ebay for "cnc engraving diamond" will bring up a 1/4" and a 3/8" drag diamond. I have the 3/8"...works very well! I bought a spare diamond. IT has a step down shaft. About 1/2" of the length is .122". That part holds the diamond. It steps up to about .18. The step keeps it in the holder part & allows the spring to do it's job. You could buy one and cut it leaving a .122 shaft holding the diamond, BUT, without the spring loading it seems it would be almost impossible to use. Your parts, clamps, machine, would have to be so very exact so as to not break the diamond.

allaces
Model of CNC Machine: Patriot

Post by allaces »

You might want to checkout this new complete "spring loaded engraving tool" kit offered by http://CNC-Aid.com
It's also sold on eBay and Amazon.

allaces

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

I've never seen one with a 1/8" shank, as the OP requested. Be a pretty small spring! :o
Ron Sloan

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi: You could make a special holder to mount in place of the router to hold the engraving tool. I've used glued up corian to make many special jigs and part holders and it has the rigidity and strenght to last a long time. It holds a thread for locking screws very well.