Z Depth issue for 2 sided cutting

MCochrane
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT 9648 V4G

Z Depth issue for 2 sided cutting

Post by MCochrane »

I've only had Cut3D for about two weeks, but that's been enough for me to spoil quite a few prototypes. I'm trying to cut a Greenland-style kayak paddle, which is perfectly symmetrical, top and bottom. Each attempt I make seems to produce the top cut properly, but the bottom cut then shows that either the top or the bottom (or both) has been cut too deeply in the Z dimension. The bottom cut breaks through the top cut, making the blades too thin and small.

The measurements I've made after each failure seem to show that the rough toolpath is cutting at the depth I set up in Cut3D. Looks the the finish toolpath is taking the cut about 5mm deeper than the midpoint of the material. (The paddle fills a 2x4 in both the Y and Z dimensions. The X and Y dimensions have not been a problem.) As you see, I'm working in millimeters.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong in the setup screens that I've attached below? If not, then I've got to look more closely into a hardware issue.

Thanks for the help all of you so reliably give!

Mike
Paddle dimensions
Paddle dimensions
Material sizing
Material sizing
Roughing toolpath
Roughing toolpath
Finishing toolpath
Finishing toolpath

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: Z Depth issue for 2 sided cutting

Post by kilrabit »

Could you post a picture of a paddle that was cut too deeply? Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Roy

SSCNCROUTERGUY
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre 4896

Post by SSCNCROUTERGUY »

MCochrane:
Not to oversimplify things, but are you re-zeroing your Z height between bit changes?

MCochrane

Post by MCochrane »

Hey! I take no offense at simple questions. It would be just like me to forget to Z zero between bit changes. Glad you asked.

But this time I think I've got a hardware issue (which is why I haven't posted pictures). Yesterday I Z zeroed at the material surface using the ShopBot Z zero plate (that's my machine, and ShopBot has a handy routine for Z zeroing by placing a metal plate of known thickness under the bit and running a sensing routine). I then drilled a 20mm hole and measured it with a depth gage. It's 25mm deep. I changed to another bit and another collet and did the same thing. What should be a 20mm plunge is always a 25mm plunge.

So, either the machine, which I recently bought used, has a wrong value for the zeroing plate thickness or the Z axis unit values are wrong -- so it seems. I'm looking into it.

The fact that nobody called out an obvious error on the setup screens I posted also helps me troubleshoot this. Thanks!

Mike

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

It sounds like you have a 5mm offset entered for the Z axis.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

While this could be a stepper value issue, the first thing I would check is the actual plate thickness... The nominal is 0.121", but mine was 0.124" - it does make a difference.
I simply measuered mine with a dial caliper...
Ron Sloan

MCochrane

Post by MCochrane »

It did, in fact, turn out to be a stepper value. The unit value for the Z axis was off by 20%. After I did a number of measurements and processed the math, I put in a new value (which, interestingly, matches the values I found in the file for the X and Y motors) and its cutting accurately now. Thanks for the suggestions, all who helped.

Mike

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

That's great, glad you found the problem.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/