CROQUEMOR
Model of CNC Machine: CNC-STEP RAPTOR SL

cnc raptor

Post by CROQUEMOR »

Hi everyone

Im the owner of a Raptor from CNC STEP germany :evil:
Unfortunately bad experience till now.
Many problems: the most common is the machine refuses to start at the morning
origin unknown : electric or electronic ?

the CNC works on 3 x 380v + neutral, as the local network has only 3 x 220 v
I have to use a transformer who does the job
I have no problems with electrical motors : saw, polishing machines ,etc (I'm stone cutter)
Only the cnc is causing trouble.

We are upset, as it is a machine of 35,000 bucks !
The CNC company doesn't provide information s.a. instruction nor maintenance manuals.
When there is something wrong, they estimate the problem and you have the send the piece back to Germany
They don't matter if you have the knowledge to remove electronics parts, nor the time the machine is stopped.
(they even told me that no spare part is available) :roll:

I hesitate to call an electrician or a lawyer, as the CNC company is constantly in infraction with European Trade Laws for unsifficent information.

I d like to hear if someone else have a CNC-SEP machine, and also problems

Till now, I have to say :don't buy :!:

My wish is that I can change my mind about the product.
regards,
Croquemor

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: cnc raptor

Post by tmerrill »

Not a very good story and hope all works out for you.

I did a search of this forum and there aren't too many hits for CNC Step and none for Raptor.

Have you tried a forum like CNCzone that includes sections for many different machines and manufacturers? You may have better luck there.

Tim

CROQUEMOR

Post by CROQUEMOR »

Hi,
Thanks for reply.

Yes, I visited CNC ZONE.
The reason I choose a CNC step machine, is that they are not too far from home (4-5 hours).
I must recognize that the construction is very strong, and the machine is very precise (when it works !)
Today I couldn t start, as one controller doesn t lit.
Results: I loose a work and made an unsatisfied customer :(

By the way, it is delivered with the Construcam program.
All I can say is that I m not compatible with it.
I was near to sell all the stuff, when I discovered Aspire
I m hoping again
regards
croquemor.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Do you read German?

I see there are some questions being asked on German websites about the machine - here is one:
http://www.cnc-area.de/wbb3/index.php?p ... stID=24973.

My past experience with German companies is not like yours. In my experience, they know everything about their machines and have technical service people that are extremely competent. I presume you are not in a dispute with them...

Angie

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

croquemor,

I know you're frustrated but stay in there and it will all work out well. Many of us have found ourselves hopelessly lost on these machines but with a little time and experience the problems will go away. After these are just X,Y,Z machines. How long have you had this equipment and did you buy it new?

How much would it cost to have a technician come to your shop and get it running? That's what I had to do with my latest CNC.

Keep us informed.

Joe Crumley

CROQUEMOR

Post by CROQUEMOR »

to Mr Crumley
Hi,
Thanks for answer.

Yes it's only XYZ coordinates, but handled sometimes surprisingly !
You always must retain if they are relative of absolute coordinates.
Was much easyer with Vectric instead of Construcam.

We achieved the first try you can see on

For info : brand new machine, buyed 7 months ago.hoping to make 2,5 designs in stone and granite.
trying soon

I followed two times a stage, but still had problems
The manufacture don't want to send a technician... they want that I remove myself the controller and go to Germany to check it !
Without giving any indication how to do, and no matter if you are competant or not. :?
more, if I do that, i will loose any guarantee on the machine.
What should you think if a garage asks you to bring the motor alone in case of problem.
regards
croquemor

CROQUEMOR

Post by CROQUEMOR »

To V-carve Wizard

Yes I read German, (my native language is French), Dutch and English, and happy there are some lucky guys.

I believe that the people there is competant and knows their machines very well.
I believe that the problem is there : if they know, everyone knows.

See in my precedent post how they handle : I send several mails , trying to explain that I can't remove the controller, having no explanation how to do, always the same answer : bring us the controller so we can check it.

I'm not (yet) in dispute, but if that continue, I will consult a lawyer that will remember them their obligations. :evil:
If there is no other way....

regards
Croquemor

dingfelder
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: High Z-720

Post by dingfelder »

Hi Croquemor,
I have also a cnc-step router. Mine is a High-Z machine and even I'm far from Germany I'm very satisfied with my equipment.

I imported to Mexico with some concerns for the distance and the support but everything has been very smooth. I received all kind of documentation in a CD and you can also download it from their website also.

Once I had a problem with my controller and they sent me a new one right away, and for the small problems I had, the response has been satisfactory. Normally when I send a mail with questions the response is in my mailbox early next day. As a matter of fact, I'm planning to buy a bigger one in the near future.

In Mexico we have different voltage than in Germany but with a small change at home this has not been a problem neither.

It is strange that you have had all this problems being so close to them, but good look.

Regards,
Gerardo

CROQUEMOR

Post by CROQUEMOR »

HI Dingfelder,

thanks for reply.
I just have to confirm: for a manufacture that made now over 4,000 machines, they don't have a controller in stock. I have the mail.
I m happy to know you have no problem. :lol:
The answer is maybe there : I am close to them.
The problem was the Raptor won't start after been powered off.
We made some stuff, and as long I don't switch off, everything is ok.
Ok for the documentation : it is for the HIGH-Z, but for the Raptor, who is a very bigger machine, I received the same docs for it, although the Raptor is totally different. the manual is useless.

And I don't dare removing a component without any explanation ! doing so will remove the warranty.
But reading your comment gives me the hope my choice was not bad.
I keep you posted
Regards
croquemor

dingfelder
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: High Z-720

Post by dingfelder »

Hola croquemor,
I took a look to the Raptor in their web page ... I see that is their high end machine ... so you deserve a high end service too.

Hopefully your problems are solved soon and we can see some of your work with the raptor posted here.

Good luck,
Gerardo

CROQUEMOR

Post by CROQUEMOR »

To dingfelder,

Ooh yes, I will solve the problem :twisted:

When the machine wants to run, we can make some jobs.

Here a rosace project, in MDF, scale 50%
The real one will be made in PVC 24mm, with glass inclusions
(glass cut with sandblast)

here the little video

regards
croquemor

CoReForm3d

Post by CoReForm3d »

Hi Dan,

My 2 cents: don't lose time. See a lawyer, make them refund and buy a Mecanumeric or Charlyrobot (same group).

These guys are serious, have a very efficient hot line and service. And pretty good and reliable machines, of course.

Unfortunately, it will cost you more. But undoubtedly will generate more cash then a malfunctionning machine. Remember the old proverb: "je suis trop pauvre pour acheter bon marché"

OK, 35K$ is not really low-cost.

FYI, my first CNC was also a german one (not the same brand), and we nearly went bankrupt because of this piece of crap.

"Deutsche Qualität" is no more what it used to be…

---

All the best,

Didier

skypoke

Post by skypoke »

Out of curiosity, does this machine use servos or stepper motors? While you hate to think about having to reengineer a new machine due to lousy service, the most cost effective route might be to just replace the controller with a functional alternative. If it's a stepper motor machine, and the frame and motors are good quality then for a pretty minimal cost you can buy a complete Gecko Drive controller that would be plug and play. While I know it's not an alternative for everyone, I built my 2M X 7M myself and used Gecko drives. Another advantage is that you will no longer be at the mercy of some other company when something goes wrong.

bluesman1
Model of CNC Machine: cnc-step 720 Hi Z T series

Re: cnc step Hi Z 720

Post by bluesman1 »

Strange problems you are having sounds like a controller issue how is your feed to the controller is it correct in all aspects eg Hz Voltage ?
I have a cnc step machine and i am extremely happy with it , i can do all types of milling and engraving with it and its reliability and accuracy
make it worth every cent i paid for it , I have found it to be a A plus quality product, i have done some stunning work with this machine, this makes me think your problem is an external one , I do not think it is a quality issue unless you were extremely unlucky, these guys sell machines to some of the worlds largest companies BMW even uses them, their hi z machines have a rep for accuracy and longevity, true german quality in my humble opinion .