Selection of cheap bits for first timer

fabricated
Model of CNC Machine: fabricator MK1 (DIY)

Selection of cheap bits for first timer

Post by fabricated »

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to finish up my DIY router and have started to look for a selection of bits to start off with. I do like quality tooling, but I'm thinking that some chinese bits will do well for getting me started and learning, and figure out my needs (...and keep the secretary of the treasury off my back).

What bits is a must have in the toolbox?
I'm thinking endmill in a couple of sizes (how many flutes?), ballnose in a couple of sizes (tapered?), something for slotting?, v-bits for engraving and carving (60 and 90deg? sizes?). What are good allround sizes?

I will mainly be working with MDF and Alu so I guess there will be a selection of bits for both. Sizes will vary from the smallest engravings (3x3cm) to maxium size of the router (~60x90cm). I plan on purchasing Aspire so I should be prepared for 3d work and carvings as well.

Alot to ask from a cheap bit, but this is just for starters and playing around, plans are to upgrade to Onsrud/Gühring quality bits when I get everything dialed in.

Oh, and I'm working in the metric system, so I find your fractions hard to work out without a calculator :)

All help appreciated. I will also attach a rendering of the machine so you have a certain idea of what kind of router it is.

(Excuse my spelling, english is my second language)
Attachments
cnc-07.JPG
Henrik :)

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Re: Selection of cheap bits for first timer

Post by sailfl »

I went to my local big box store (Home Depot), an local wood router supplier for you and bought a couple of 0.25" straight flute cheap router bits and cut a bunch of plywood or MDF. They cost me $20 each. I then jumped immedately to Onsrud though the place I bought them from advised me not to because I would break lots of bits. Even today, I rarely break a bit cutting. It happens but rarely. Don't spend time using poor quality bits. Buy the best you can and you will learn what your machine can do and understand how it cuts.

Good luck

COBOB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Selection of cheap bits for first timer

Post by COBOB »

cuttingtoolsource.com
Inexpensive but high quality. Highly recommended.