Which CNC router to buy??

Rimfire
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot, CAMaster, Shopsaber ??

Which CNC router to buy??

Post by Rimfire »

Hi Everyone. I am new to CNC routing and have been trying to do my homework on CNC machines and software. I really like what I see from Vectric, especially their Aspire program. I would like to do mostly V-carving and 3D carving on door panels, doors, and custom made boxes, toy boxes and blanket chests. I have been looking at three different CNC machines to buy... 1. Shopsaber, 2. CAMaster Cobra, and 3. Freedom Machine Tool's Patriot. I still don't know which way to go. Anyone got any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? I need a machine that is compatible with Aspire and able to do detail carving. Thank you for any help you can give me. Greg

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Re: Which CNC router to buy??

Post by calgrdnr »

You have picked great software.

If I was you I would talk to James McGrew , heck if you are close enough go to Aspire camp at mcgrews and see a CAMaster in person.http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12832

wish I could be there :)

Kent

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Rimfire,
I have a CAMaster cobra and would not trade it for the world! They are an EXCELLENT company. They have a great forum which you should go check out. www.camheads.org And their service has been OUTSTANDING. I owned an import chinese router to start with and it was like pulling teeth to get parts/support for that router.

Yes I am partial to CAMaster. Where are you located? If you are close to me you are welcome to come see my CAMaster.

Best,
Nick

Rimfire
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot, CAMaster, Shopsaber ??

Post by Rimfire »

Thanks, Kent for your reply... From what I have read online James McGrew is a CAMaster user. I will try to contact him for more info.

Thanks, Nick for your reply...
I am probably a little too far away but thanks for the invite and your recommendation. CAMaster definitely looks like a nice system... I guess that's why I put it on my narrowed-down list of possible choices. Do you use your machine to do much carving?

So far that is TWO for CAMaster and Zero for the others... Any one else got any recommendations?

Thanks,
Greg

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Of course, you could make your own. Checkout out finelineautomation.com as wells as joescnc.com.

Angie

Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Buy, fix, and sell them

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I purchased a second hand shopsabre and it is a well built machine. I do 3d stuff on it daily with aspire. Although I think they build a great machine for the money, I don't think they are the best for a first time user to purchase.

Camaster has a forum for user help where shopsabre does not, so as a new user, I would suggest a place where you can get more help easier.

With all that being said, I would suggest that a new user purchase a used shopbot. Get a cheap used one in the 5 to 8k range and their forum and support is second to none. Then when you are ready for your second machine, go back to your first list of 3 again.

Ken
Custom CNC Work
Local Machine Repairs and Programming

Gc3

Post by Gc3 »

lots of those blue machines out there.....

http://www.shopbottools.com/

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/

oxenham1
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Techno cnc

Post by oxenham1 »

I'm stuck on Techno cnc. People talk smack about the service, but I've never experienced anything negative from them. Free control software upgrades for the life of the machine, fully transferable. And unlimited tech support forever and free. Ours uses servo's and the difference is night and day over steppers. We do 3D stuff all the time and work it to death. I have never had a machine related problem ever. I think their LC 48X96 machine is $15000 new. I've run ours at 550 ipm on some jobs and it traverses at 800ipm. It's pretty fast, accurate, and solid. On one job, I accidentally knocked the power plug from the wall in the middle of a file, was able to restart the machine and skip ahead to within 10 lines of code. It only set me back 5 minutes. Not something I can say from the other machines we used to have.
Blog: http://www.fromaspiretobeyond.blogspot.com
Web: http://www.oxenhamdesign.com

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

:oops: I agree with Angie (zeeway) look into building your own.

I built a Joes2006cnc great little machine, was great to learn CNC
and to tell the truth sorry I sold it :(
I know if I had the room I would not have sold it.
The + side it went to a good person who will have fun and benefit from a good machine.

I now have a 2001 Shopbot and while it is a good machine it is dated and needs to be upgraded. I personally think Shopbot wants to much for the 4g upgrade (dated upgrade) and luckily have Mach3 licence and the experience to build my own controller and spend the difference for new motors. But you should put them in the running :)

I hope to still use the software,motors and controller for a future build ie indexer :)

Kent

Mick Martin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC + Rotary

Post by Mick Martin »

Rimfire,
I am another CAMaster owner, well in fact I own two of there machines a 2' x 3' Stinger I and a 5' x 8' ATC (Automatic Tool Changer) with a 4th axis lathe. I also offer you a preview of the machine if you live on the West Coast.
Mick Martin
Aspire 4.015
http://mickmartinwoodworking.com/

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

CAMaster owner here,, multiple machines a new atc 508 due in march, there is a reason for this, there are good machines mentioned here in my business i need all the good features,

feel free to call or visit, i can show you live online as well

info is on the website

jim mcgrew
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

fixtureman
Vectric Wizard

Post by fixtureman »

shopbot user here

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Greg,

I live in Prescott AZ and I have a CAMaster and like several others have said it's a great company. If you can make it down to Prescott give me a call and your very welcome to come see mine.

PM me if you're interested.

Mark

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I bought a blue machine 6 years ago -- no regrets, the forum was critical to helping me into the CNC world.

That said, I've been impressed with the CAMaster machines that I've seen, and people associated with the machines (users and company) seem pretty solid. I would certainly consider one when I need to buy another machine.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

T.R.MacMunn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4836

Post by T.R.MacMunn »

CAMaster here as well. Great people & forum. They built exactly what would fit into my shop ...... I need a 4X8 but only had room for 39`long on the Y so I tile a lot & they didn`t hit me with re-engineering charges that others wanted.
I`ve had some problems, but not their fault. Mostly specs I`d change if doing it again.
Mine is on casters. It`s so smooth I`ve never locked the brakes on.