Check tool can fit into selected vectors...

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
taconick
Model of CNC Machine: Techno LC4896 W/ ATC

Check tool can fit into selected vectors...

Post by taconick »

So I have all of the sudden gotten this message on a tool path that I have cut multiple times. I have not changed the size of the profile just the size of the piece of wood that I am cutting it out on. The message reads "Error Toolpath not generated for current parameters: Check tool can fit into selected vectors at machining depth". I am not sure how to fix it because I have cut this toolpath multiple times with out changing the size of the profile. It is the only drawing that I have that does this. Please help!

Nick
Little Sapling Toys

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: Check tool can fit into selected vectors...

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Nick,
What is the difference between the material used before and the material being used now? You mention the size has been changed so will the tool break out of the material on any sides including the bottom of the material? The error sounds to me like it is warning that the tool will cut deeper than the material since it warns to "Check that tool can fit selected vectors at the machining depth". Also if there are Vcarving toolpaths they may need more depth for them to achieve the width of the vectors at the top of the design, or maybe you could specify a flat bottom if so.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

taconick

Post by taconick »

Thanks for the answer. No difference in material still .625" maple, I just have to change the size of the board that it is cut on. There are no vcarve paths. It is one pocketing tool path and two profile paths offset .03" from each other. It is not the same warning that you get for the depth of cut saying that you will cut through the material, it will not even calculate the tool path. When you press calculate it comes up with the warning then deletes the toolpath. The thing that puzzles me is that I have not resized the vectors of the toolpaths just the material setup, and I have cut these same vectors before plenty of times without any problem.

Nick
Little Sapling Toys

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Nick,
It might help if the file could be posted. I am lost for suggestions at this point, but maybe someone else that has encountered this type of error will chime in with a possible solution.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

taconick

Post by taconick »

I just tried it with my back up and it is working again for now, maybe I should just keep this one and use it when it stops working again? This one is kept on our office computer and stops working out on the shop computer. This one is vista and the shop one is xp do you think that could have anything to do with it?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I have not changed the size of the profile just the size of the piece of wood that I am cutting it out on
Is it possible that when you change material size that the checkbox for "Scale" is selected? That could cause the model size to change.

If you could send both the good and bad files to Vectric Support I am confident that they could quickly indetify the issue.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

taconick

Post by taconick »

So I tried to write the toolpath on my office computer, (running Vista) no problem. So I copied that file onto my thumb drive took it out to the shop computer (running XP) No go. I have plenty of other profiles that are more intricate and no problem, it is only this file and it just started recently. One thing that I did notice is that I can calculate the finish pass with no problem, but it also puts the tool cutting on the wrong side of the circle on the inside and does not calculate the outside of the profile at all even though the vectors are selected and the machine vectors are selected for outside/ right. But it is calculating the inside hole on inside left, even though it is not set up that way. I am cutting using a 1/4" upcut spiral so it is not like it is a big tool. I just cut these last week and didn't have any problems. I will try to post the file but it says that it is too big to post on here so I will try to make it smaller.

I always make sure that scale is turned off. Because I am always changing the material size depending of what size of lumber I have on hand. I will try to send the files in.

Nick
Little Sapling Toys

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Nick,

It sounds like you have one or more vector problems. The error you identified can sometimes be caused by small loops or overlaps in the vector shape.

The problem with the profile toolpaths sounds like you have an open vector. Have you verified them closed?

VCP and Aspire can calculate past some errors and my guess is when you changed the material size and recalculated the toolpaths the changes, considering tolerances and round-off errors, were enough to generate the error message. This could also explain why it works on one computer and not on another, because I assume they have different processors in them. I don't think the operating system would affect it as they are both "recent" systems.

If you can delete all the toolpaths and save the file with only the design vectors giving you problems I think we can figure out what is happening. If it is still too large, try zipping it.

Tim

Rob Wallace
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 600 Kress 1050 FME-1

Post by Rob Wallace »

I had a very similar issue and rounded out what I considered to be too :? tight for the tool but whatever I did came with the same error as you, after carefully following the vector line around the perimeter of the cut I found a line was doubled up on top of each other - how I do not know -deleted the extra vector line and toolpath created !

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Ummm, Rob? This thread is about ten years old. .. . .
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns