Free 3D Scanner software

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
argha

Post by argha »

There is a pretty low cost 3D scanner here as well. The cost for the scan time looks reasonable and the quality looks much better...

http://www.3d3solutions.com/

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

argha wrote:There is a pretty low cost 3D scanner here as well. The cost for the scan time looks reasonable and the quality looks much better...

http://www.3d3solutions.com/
1500 is far from low cost.......at least here it is

argha

Post by argha »

The student edition is $299, and most commercial 3D scanners range from 2.5k to 40K so it's all relative i guess.

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

Dont be confused by this product, as you are only purchasing the software, and you will need to have or acquire the other hardware items. The high end software appears to have the ability to stich together multiple files to produce a full 3d image, but realistically, how many people need this sort of funtionality. If you do, then perhaps the price is not too bad, as I have seen others that are more expensive.

If you only want to do some home type 3D engraving, or creating 3D files, similar to the ones that are sold by Vectorart, then the David software and hardware set up is by far the best route to go. The software is free, and the rest of the hardware would cost you under $200. This will give you fairly high 3D resolution at 1280 x 1024 (1.3 Mp) if you use the new Micosoft web cam, and a laser line generator. The resulting file will be full 3D, but only from a single direction, but then again, this is fine for carving out with Cut3D on a single face.

I like the cheap simple route, which once I get at it will likely meet 99.9% of my needs. No time right now though, maybe in a few months.

If anyone tries this, please keep this thread updated with some info and some photos.

Pete.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

3D scanning is very interesting technology and something I have been following for a long time (and also seen many technologies tried) - I see you referenced the models we sell on Vector Art 3D. As such I thought I would add some info in regard to what we do with scanning - (not to hi-jack the thread) the models we sell on Vector Art 3D are mostly not scanned/digitized they are built using artistic CAD/CAM software. Those that are scanned/digitized have a significant amount of post scanning editing to clean and smooth them to make them as high quality as possible for CNC machining. I wish you well with this scanning technology and it is certainly economical but in my experience the quality straight from the scanner will probably need some post-scan editing to make it fully workable. Thanks, James

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Thanks for your input James. I certainly did not mean to rain on your parade by any means. I realize you guys have a good product, and I understand fully the process you need to go through to get there, and the software you are using.

What I was getting at was that with software such as 'David' - as a good example, with little output financially, us hobbyists, can produce some pretty cool 3D models, the RESULTING model being something similar in shape etc to what you are producing now. This of course would never be a replacement for your products, but it would allow a person to scan a personal small to medium sized object to a 3D stl file, and be able to reproduce it on a 3 axis cnc machine. There would of course be some clean up required of the final product, but this is to be expected with most any of the projects we would do.

I personally have not had the time to try this process yet, but I am interested in getting to it as soon as possible. It just looks like it would be a lot of fun to be able to reproduce something special to amaze your friends and collegues. It would be possible to take this even further by processing the 3D stl file into a point cloud format and getting your project laser engraved using a sub surface yag machine. This is also something that I would like to try, although the lasers are quite expensive. Fortunately we have a local company that has one only a few blocks from my home, in the mall. They can do it if I supply the file for them......on day.

Too many things to do and no time, unfortunately work gets in the way of life.........

Pete

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi Peter, I did not mean to come off as defensive (although I am proud of the models we have and might be a little sensitive to comparisons :) ). I guess the point I was trying to make is that I have seen lots of scanning technology, everyone claims great results and has a few good examples they can show (normally painstakingly made to work!) Rarely do they ever live up to the claims when you actually start to use them. This is particularly the case when you eventually want to cut the part as the CNC does not allow anything to be hidden.

Of course if you only have $200 into it and your time is for fun rather than profit then it is not really an issue. Certainly it is fun to scan and reproduce parts - personally in terms of cost to results ratio you can't do better than a second hand Roland Picza IMHO. Keep an eye on ebay as these crop up occasionally - there was one recently going for around $500. Good luck with this when you get a moment and keep us posted with the results as I might be proved wrong :wink:
Cheers,
James

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

For sure James. It will likely be some time before I can get to it, but perhaps some of the others may give it a try. I am busy with the design of a new 3 axis router at this time, it will have about a 49 x 78 x 10 cutting envelop. I have recently finished the conversion of my milling machine, to 4 axis cnc, but have not had too much time to play with that either, but this was sort of the idea that I wanted to try with some scanning and so on.

And no, I wasnt even trying to compare your products with what we might get from a scanned object, and I apologize if that was the way it read. I was just wanting to illustrate the finished type or shape of a 3D scanned object that one might be able to produce. And yes, there will be a lot of finishing to it, so therefore, one would have to plan on staying with a carving from wood so it is not too difficult to finish up. I am looking forward to needing to purchase one of your models, I just need an appropriate project for it. I have an idea in mind for something like a rodeo rider as I have a project that would lend itself to that type of graphic. In particular, a rodeo rider on a bucking horse would be pretty cool, and also a rider on a horse that is rearing up, like the old Roy Rogers, or Zorro idea.

Thanks,

Pete

BradyWatson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BradyWatson »

Peter,
I think what James was trying to get across is the point that you will need a software package capable of manipulating and smoothing out the data from the lower end scanning hardware. I do laser digitizing professionally and for the heck of it, I assembled my own David setup. After a solid week of trial and error, the results were less than satisfying. Even after reading post after post of what others have done with it, the data was worth nothing more than for the purpose of novelty. Not to discourage anyone from trying out the David (or other DIY setups), but they are simply a waste of time when it comes to reliable scanning for parts that you want to cut on your CNC. There's even people playing with milk and wine globules (I kid you not!) in the quest for cheap digitizing. Even some of the lower priced laser scanners leave a lot to be desired, even when optimal settings and models are used. The only references or pictures that show good scans from any of the devices mentioned above are on the host's homepage. I have yet to see any end users jumping for joy over any of these scanners, or even posting examples of the data they typically get.

As James pointed out, a used Picza scanner is a nice piece of hardware that can make you money. Even with the Picza, there is still some spurious/ambient data that you will need to parse out from the model itself. The same is true with a touch probe that mounts to your CNC. Touch probes are cheap and reliable, but still require post-scan clean-up. So if you want the parts coming off your CNC to look smooth & clean like the models that James creates, you will need the software to do it, even with a good scanner.

The other option instead of trying to reinvent the proverbial digitizing wheel is to just send it out to be scanned on professional equipment.

Just my .02
-Brady

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Brady, thanks a bunch for your input. What you say certainly makes a lot of sense. It is neat to know that you have tried this system out, and have found that it is less than adequate. Now myself and several others will be less antsy to try it out. I certainly have a lot of things to work on besides that, and now as it seems it may be a waste of time, I would have been quite upset with myself wasting time that could have been put to better use.

Thanks for your time to ferret this out for all us guys.

Pete. :lol:

GAWnCA
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by GAWnCA »

I sure hope we can revive this topic. This all sounds very interesting. What I would like to do is be able to automate the laser for scanning and then also automate the object being scanned so after each laser cycle the object would rotate on a turntable and the laser then scan that face of the object. Once all the surfaces have been scanned, stitch them all together and import into CUT 3D for milling. Has anyone found a solution for this is it already included in the David software?

BradyWatson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BradyWatson »

I haven't found anything that sophisticated the DAVID software. Scanning is one thing...automating it with robotic control is another. It can be done, as others have. I haven't followed the latest and greatest developments with the DAVID, so you'll want to check their forums and ask DAVID specific questions there. I have only seen a few examples that show the scanned result with any kind of recognition for the original object. The nicer scans that you see use expensive cameras and in many cases, a robotic turn table. Once you get into it, and invest in all the little components needed to make the DAVID even remotely operational, you might as well just buy a NextEngine. It's software is pretty good & it is farily well suited for doing objects in the 5 to 12 inch range. It still doesn't have the kind of resolution that a professional setup does, but this really boils down to what your needs are. There's a lot more than meets the eye when doing 4th axis scanning. In particular, editing or modifying the result with economical software is a challenge. With laser digitizing services being a cheap as they are these days, one has to ask if it is worth pulling your hair out trying to come up with your own setup. :roll:

We just brought 4th axis Hi-Def laser scanning online last week. I will be doing several more 4th axis scans today for a customer (French style cabriole legs). These will most likely be setup in Cut3D using a 4-sided milling strategy since the customer does not have an indexer/4th axis. You can see a few examples of 4th axis scanning on the last page of the 3D services area of my website: http://www.ibild.com/3DServices.htm

-B
High Definition 3D Laser Scanning www.IBILD.com

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

David has a new option now for the software to allow it to stitch together multiple scans. This will allow the user to create a full 3D model. Check out their web site and see if they still offer a beta download. I believe this stitching capability will be offered at a price, but I think the original will still be free.

The quality of the final object is going to be dependant on the resolution of the camera used, not the software, from what I have seen and read. So far you can get a web cam from Logitec and from Microsoft that has a 1.3 Mp resolution that will produce a scan at 640 x 480, for video, and 1280 x 1024 for still shots.

Beyond that you need to look at more professional and more expensive cameras, but I dont know if they will work with the David software. Before committing to a camera and so on, it would be prudent to check with the developers about your choice of hardware.

Pete

GAWnCA
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by GAWnCA »

HI Peter,

So which camera are you using with David and what laser?

Thanks,
Greg

Peter Stenabaugh wrote:David has a new option now for the software to allow it to stitch together multiple scans. This will allow the user to create a full 3D model. Check out their web site and see if they still offer a beta download. I believe this stitching capability will be offered at a price, but I think the original will still be free.

The quality of the final object is going to be dependant on the resolution of the camera used, not the software, from what I have seen and read. So far you can get a web cam from Logitec and from Microsoft that has a 1.3 Mp resolution that will produce a scan at 640 x 480, for video, and 1280 x 1024 for still shots.

Beyond that you need to look at more professional and more expensive cameras, but I dont know if they will work with the David software. Before committing to a camera and so on, it would be prudent to check with the developers about your choice of hardware.

Pete

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

I havent gotten around to trying this out yet. There are just too many things in my face right now. However if I were to venture into it, I would select either of the camera mentioned, they both have the same ability and are about the same price, approx $85 US or so depending upon where you get them.

For a laser scanner (line generator style) I would look seriously at the one that is sold by Sears. I cant find the link for it right now, but I got that information from the David user forum. There is a lot of good information to be had there, regading cameras and lasers so check it out.

Pete