Lead in and lead out, ramping in and ramping out

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Lead in and lead out, ramping in and ramping out

Post by MZiegler »

While there been talk off and on on the forum about getting lead in/out, ramping in/out add to Vcarve Pro in the new version, there is some ways to do this now. While some of this will be extra work to do, it might be worth while for some projects.

For lead in/out any close vector can be cut and made into a open vector. Then an arc or line can be join to the start/end points for the lead in/out. An advantage to open vectors they can over lapped and the start and end points do not need to be the same point. Note: closed vectors need to be offset to adjust for your cutter compensation.

For a ramping in/out, by simple using a 3d tab at the start point will give you a ramp in/out move.

For a ramping in/out lead in/out can also be done by changing a lead in/out to a closed vector and doing profile toolpath on. Then add a tab at the start point.

Mark

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

This preview image show how I use tabs for ramping in/out toolpaths. The first toolpath show a straight line ramp in. The second toolpath show the ramp in is on toolpath and because of that it not visible. The third toolpath show the ramp in and out. I nudge the start point down to make it visible. Mark
Attachments
ramp straight.jpg
(29.56 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

Here an example of a spiral ramp in/out on a hole. The left toolpath show the ramp on the outside, the middle toolpath show the ramp is on and is not visible and the left toolpath show the ramp on the inside. Normally I do the ramping in on the toolpath and by doing that it will rout out the tab. One big advantage to this is that the plug generally will stay in place without popping up. Mark
Attachments
ramp spiral.jpg
(48.52 KiB) Downloaded 396 times

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

Here is the crv file. Just copy and paste the circle into other crv files. Use the set size tool to change the size or shape of the circle. Mark
Attachments
ramp spiral.crv
(80.5 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

FYI, the method I use to make ramp in and outs. This that follows should you a good idea how to do these. Mark

By using the node editing tool, select an existing point or insert a new point where you like the ramp to be
Cut the vector at that point
Now there is two points, nudge one or both points with the arrow keys so that the lines overlapped
For straight ramps - closed the vector with a line and adjust the start point for the right location if needed
For arc ramps - closed the vector with a smooth curve, insert point at the middle of the curve and make that point the start point, move the start point where you like it to be, use the handles to adjust the curve for a nice smooth curve
Select the machine vectors on and add a 3D tab at the start point

Note: the original vector may need to be offset by your cutter compensation

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

Here an example of an arc and straight line ramp in/out on a rectangle. The left toolpath show an arc ramp on the outside, the middle toolpath show the ramp is on and not visible and the left toolpath show an arc ramp is on a corner. Normally I do the ramping in on the toolpath and by doing that it will rout out the tab. Mark
Attachments
ramp arc and straight II.jpg
(43.26 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
ramp arc and straight.jpg
(34.91 KiB) Downloaded 377 times