A simple way to make inlays

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

I like the seaweed idea. If one did a couple of smaller sea horses, then cut right through them with seaweed, then cut through the seaweed with a few larger sea horses, it should produce a rather nice 3D effect.

Does anyone know of a wood that is litterally green. The best I've found is poplar and it is barely green.

Paul Z

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Very nice inlay Paul. Very fine details and it came out perfect. I like the idea of super glue as it would speed up the process quite a bit. I was thinking of doing a multicolor inlay too. I haven't tried it yet though. Don't know of a green color of wood other than Poplar. Keep up the excellent work.
Damian

bluegoose

Post by bluegoose »

This looks very interesting. I appreciate you sharing your ideas with the rest of us. I know I would have never figured this out myself.

Could you post new instructions like the ones in the original post? I see where the original instructions have changed and want to make sure I do it right the first time.

thanks

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paul Z »

We are in the process of creating a new, step by step, set of instructions. I hope to post it this weekend.

Paul Z

bluegoose

Post by bluegoose »

Paul, I have a few questions..
1) There is an extra outline on your inlay butterfly that is not on the pocket cut. How and why did you draw this line? Do you do this on every inlay?

2) What is the difference in the start depth .2 and flat depth .2 and not just entering .4 in flat depth to start with.

thanks

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paul Z »

This polygon defines the area of the inlay that will be cut away from the rest of the material from which the inlay was produced. The picture below shows a rectangular area used for the same purpose.

The diagram attempts to show how the dimensions work. If the inlay were to be cut with just the flat depth it will not fit. It would be too thick. The point at which the inlay is just the right size is imaginary dividing line between the final inlay and the inlay backing which is defined with the start and the flat depths.

Paul Z

PS I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I somehow missed it in the message traffic.

bluegoose

Post by bluegoose »

That makes sense. Thanks.

rnweller
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by rnweller »

Good morning Paul,

Would it be possible for you to post the updated set of instructions for the inlay process? I have a couple projects I would like to do for Christmas. Many thanks for your efforts. :lol:

Norm

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paul Z »

Norm,

I am checking with Tony to see if it can be made available from the forum end. The revised procedure has lots of photos and took a couple of hours to send it to him. (I gotta get high speed access!)

Paul Z

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Here you go.

This document has been written by Paul Z with the help of Damian to outline the procedure
he developed for machining in-lays using v-bit / engraving cutters. This technique retains
sharp corners on designs and results in more detail being seen on the in-layed material.

Thanks Paul,

Tony

rnweller
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by rnweller »

Thanks Paul and Tony!!!!!! :lol:

Merry Christmas to all................

Norm

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paul Z »

Damians help, especially running test cases, was instrumental in getting this far.

If there are parts of the procedure that are hard to understand, please post questions and I will try to elaborate.

I'd suggest trying the inlay on pieces of scrap before using "the good stuff".

Paul Z

PS Please post results!

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2010 Shop Bot PRS Alpha 18"Z

Post by dmidkiff »

Tony,

I tried to download these instructions the day they were posted with no luck. Thinking that there was a problem with my dial up connection I waited for another chance and still had no luck. Is there something that I am doing wrong or is it my dial up? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Paul and Damian for all of their efforts.

Thanks
Dave

mcurtis
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mcurtis »

Try right clicking and "save as" on your local drive. It doesn't work for me if I just left click on it.

Thanks for the effort Paul and Damian. Haven't tried it yet, but it's on the short list.

Maynard

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Dave,

I also have the same problem when clicking to download PDF's off the forum - just get small icon in the window.

Try Clicking the Right mouse button on the Download button and select Save Target As

Let me know if this works for you,

Tony