A simple way to make inlays

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro

Re: A simple way to make inlays

Postby FixitMike » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:51 pm

[quote="KWiK"] I have read a lot of the posts, but not all. I have never understood the relationship well enough,

This drawing shows how the toolpath settings work:
VCarve Inlay.png
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (modified)

Postby KWiK » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:00 am

Thanks Mike.

So Basically I was correct in that the Base Flat Depth - Inlay Start Depth, gives you the space between the two. So the PDF example in Post 1 has a Base Flat Depth of 0.3" and a Inlay Start Depth of 0.1", so that would give you 0.3" - 0.1" = 0.2" of glue gap? Doesn't that seem excessive? I would think a gap of 0.05" to 0.1" would be more than enough?

Do people always use Inlay Start Depth + Inlay Flat Depth = Base Flat Depth?
KWiK
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Postby FixitMike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:31 am

KWiK wrote:Thanks Mike.

So Basically I was correct in that the Base Flat Depth - Inlay Start Depth, gives you the space between the two. So the PDF example in Post 1 has a Base Flat Depth of 0.3" and a Inlay Start Depth of 0.1", so that would give you 0.3" - 0.1" = 0.2" of glue gap? Doesn't that seem excessive? I would think a gap of 0.05" to 0.1" would be more than enough?

Do people always use Inlay Start Depth + Inlay Flat Depth = Base Flat Depth?

In my personal opinion, those settings are in error. I vary the settings depending upon the material, inlay details, and how I intend to remove the excess material (and sometimes how I feel, or what day of the week it is.). Almost always I set the base flat depth to be about .03" greater than the inlay start depth.

Just be very to sure to remove all of the fuzzies and splinters from the pieces before you put them together. I use a toothbrush and dental picks.
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Postby ablesser » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 pm

FixitMike wrote:In my personal opinion, those settings are in error. I vary the settings depending upon the material, inlay details, and how I intend to remove the excess material (and sometimes how I feel, or what day of the week it is.). Almost always I set the base flat depth to be about .03" greater than the inlay start depth.

Just be very to sure to remove all of the fuzzies and splinters from the pieces before you put them together. I use a toothbrush and dental picks.

-Vectric's latest tutorial video on this on youtube would agree with you that 0.2" is too much. They seem to recommend 0.1", but something like 0.05" seems like an even better setting to avoid the glue gap. (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4992bEoNYI)

- When you "remove the fuzzies" how exactly do you use a toothbrush and dental picks to do this? Is the toothbrush used like sandpaper and the pick for splinters in tight spots? I ask because i'm having serious fit trouble with a V-Inlay over in this thread http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28324 where I posted about some issues, and wondering if this could help me?
ablesser

Model of CNC Machine: XCarve

Postby tvannaman2000 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 pm

My concern is with the starting depth of the male part of the inlay. I'm using a clearing bit (1/8" or 1/16") to remove a lot of the material first before I use the vbit and that first cut is too deep because of the start depth setting. Once that first pass is done, the remaining passes are fine. ie. I want to cut no more than .05" per pass but if my starting depth is already .05, it will try to cut .1 on the first pass. I guess I could go in and adjust my pass info, but if the starting depth is larger than your max depth setting for the bit, you risk breaking bits or munging wood. How do you people handle that?

Tim.
tvannaman2000
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Postby FixitMike » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:12 am

The description of how a V Bit cuts using the VCarve toolpath is available from the Aspire and VCarve help documents.

Go to "Help", "Help Contents" on the menu bar at the top of the VCarve (or Aspire) window. Click on the VCarve toolpath icons until you get to "VCave Toolpath".

The Vbit downward step maximum is controlled by the "Pass Depth"entry in the *Tool Database", while the sideways step maximum is controlled by the entries for "Pass Stepover". There is provision for a final pass to clean up the fuzzies.

*The Tool Database is found at: "Toolpaths-Tool Database" on the menu bar.
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Previous

Return to VCarve - Tips and Tricks