Photo VCarve Pictures in VCPro

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
tommoser

Photo VCarve Pictures in VCPro

Post by tommoser »

I have been working with Corel PhotoPaint and PhotoVCarve and VC Pro.

I have been unable to figure out how to put the pictures I have in the format I want them

In the VCarvePro help file under the section labeled "Positioning" there is a carving with two children (Eloise and Thomas) which has the picture background completely removed.

This is exactly what I want to do but I can't seem to get it done.

Could someone detail the exact procedure to take a JPEG picture and end up with the pictures with a fully cropped background?

Thanks,
Tom

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Have you tried painting out the background in Corel Photo-Paint and then in PhotoVCarve selecting the painted background and making it transparent?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Hello Tom,
If I am understanding your question right, you want to take away the background from you photo and just leave a picture of a face etc. Open the picture you would like to take away the background in Paint. Use the eraser or selection boxes to trace and delete the background (it will now be white). This does take some time to do but is worth it. Once you have all the background erased, use a fill color that is NOT in the remaining photo and fill the erased areas that color. Now save the picture as a bitmap (BMP) not a JPEG. In the first screen of PhotoVcarve open the photo and check the box that says to "Make color transparent" then move the mouse over the fill color in the photo. You should see an eyedropper. Left click the mouse over the color. The color should turn a blue/gray. Now that color is "blocked" and will not be machined when you create a toolpath. The reason for saving the picture in Paint as a bitmap instead of jpeg is that in bitmap form when you attempt to "block" the color it is seen as a solid color. In jpeg form, the color has slight changes or shades to it and all the color will not be blocked. Tony Mac's video in the PhotoVcarve tutorials (Tutorial #3) shows how to block the color also. Hope this is what you wanted and helps.
Damian