How to cut jobs bigger then the table?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Philip Schaller

How to cut jobs bigger then the table?

Post by Philip Schaller »

How to cut jobs bigger then the table size. Is there a way to set work up to cut art larger then the table. And I'm talking about the length. I have seen programs that cut's to the limits of the table and stop and tells you how much to move the material and then continues. Any thoughts?

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Re: How to cut jobs bigger then the table?

Post by mark296 »

Philip Schaller wrote:How to cut jobs bigger then the table size. Is there a way to set work up to cut art larger then the table. And I'm talking about the length. I have seen programs that cut's to the limits of the table and stop and tells you how much to move the material and then continues. Any thoughts?
Here is an idea, draw a line half way through your carving as a guide point. Now insert a point where that line meets any vector and cut at that spot. Join the cut vectors with a straight line. Now you can setup half for carving by setting your start point in the center of the half. Carve the first half then re-center the carving for the second half. Some cleanup may be required for the centure but you can use the same method for the centure by drawing two lines and cutting around where you need to cleanup.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Do you have to cut two pieces or can you just slide a longer piece thru your machine?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Philip Schaller

Thank you I'll give that a try and I could see how that would work for the copy and such, but how about the outside shape. My table being a 4' x 4'. How can I cut have and slide to cut the other half or more? If I draw a half way point line wouldn't cut rite up the middle doing the outside shape cut?

Again thank you for your relpy and help.

Philip Schaller

And yes I can slide as long a piece as I want thru the table as both ends are clear. It is a older Gerber 48 plus that has had all the old electronics taken out and made new. Works great and Vcarve works great with Mac3 with this table. Just this size thing we are trying to work out. Thank you.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

On my machine I have to open ends so in theory I could put something longer then my cutting area in the machine and it would just hang off the end. If your machine can do this I'd slice up a job like Mark said but I'd make it so your two sliced paths overlapped. That way you'll get a better transition between the two runs. The hard part is going to be making sure when you move the piece to do the other half that you keep everthing lined up right.

What I'd do is have the tool start in the center for each run and before you start draw the two squares on the piece just like you see them in this picture and then make the center of each. Maybe you could clamp down some guide blocks along the sides of the piece so when you go to cut the second pass you don't have to worry about it shifting from side to side you just have to line up the bit to the center.

Here's a picture of the over lapping box method.
Attachments
overlap.jpg
(270.73 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

Philip Schaller wrote:Thank you I'll give that a try and I could see how that would work for the copy and such, but how about the outside shape. My table being a 4' x 4'. How can I cut have and slide to cut the other half or more? If I draw a half way point line wouldn't cut rite up the middle doing the outside shape cut?

Again thank you for your relpy and help.
The outside shape can be cut using profile toolpath but it has to be set to "on" the line so you have to allow for the difference.

Philip Schaller

Thank you Mark and Jay:

I think I understand, or at least understand enough to make something happen and adjust from there.

Thanks for the support and the quick replys.

All the best.

Philip
Signs & Digital Graphics