How deep is my VCarve toolpath cutting?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

How deep is my VCarve toolpath cutting?

Post by BrianM »

It is very useful to be able to determine the maximum depth of a VCarve toolpath, either to help decide on feed rates or to help you to choose the optimum tool to use.

This information is displayed in the toolpath summary after a toolpath has been calculated. The toolpath summary is shown in the toolpath tab 'background' area when no form is displayed. As well as feed rates, safe z etc. it shows the minimum Z value for the toolpath. If this value is too deep or you feel the feedrates are wrong, simply double click the toolpath name in the toolpath list and either select a new tool or edit the feed rates.

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

I can't seem to find where it tells maximum toolpath depth. It's likely staring me right in the face, but I can't find it. Will the trial version give max depth for my own designs or just for the included samples. Very nice program. Thanks.

Mike

BrianM
Vectric Staff

Post by BrianM »

Hi Mike,

I know what you mean about it staring you in the face. We are going to look at ways of making this more accesible. The trial version will give the max depth for all designs not just our samples.

The image linked below should make it clear.

http://vectric.com/vectric/images/MinZValue.gif

When you calculate a toolpath VCarve Wizard immediately shows the preview form. If you close this form you will see the summary for the toolpath as shown in the image linked above. Clicking on a toolpath in the list will show the summary information for that toolpath.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Brian

John Forney

Depth of cut

Post by John Forney »

Brian
Does the depth of cut when pocketing work like ArtCam or Part Wizard? As in, if you are pocketing .77 and the step down is .25 are there 3 cuts at .25 and one of .02 or does it go to four even cuts (.77/4)?

As an aside, nice photo of you.

John

BrianM
Vectric Staff

Post by BrianM »

Hi John,

If you are pocketing .77 and the step down is .25 are there 3 cuts at .25 and one of .02 or does it go to four even cuts (.77/4)?
There will be 3 cuts at .25 and one at .02. This allows the user to easily leave a thin 'skin' of material on the last pass to gently break the piece out of the material.
As an aside, nice photo of you
Thank you :) - But to be honest it does flater me a bit ;)

Cheers

Brian