Area Clearance Tool

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
tauscnc

Area Clearance Tool

Post by tauscnc »

Not sure if there is a question regarding this...searched but did not find.

I see for the V carving you can specify an "area clearance tool" as long as you put in a depth. Perfect.

Is there a way to do this without putting in a depth. I have noted on a couple occasions it would be nice to use a 1/4" endmill/router to cut out as much as possible quickly and than use the V bit to finish the rest. But I don't need to put in a final depth here...just let the program figure it out.

thanks
taus

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Re: Area Clearance Tool

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Why don't you want to put in the depth?

This is a stab in the dark, but I'm guessing that you would like the flat area clearance to be the 'Max' depth of the associated V-Carve toolpath? That doesn't work....The V-Carve will go all the way to the bottom without a flat depth. The purpose of the FACT (Ooooo...I started typing 'F' for flat, then 'A' for area etc, and only realised at the end it would come out as FACT! lol That sounds good :mrgreen: ).....anyway...The flat area clearance tool lets you cut out a flat depth with something other than the V-Bit. If you don't put in a depth there would be no flat bottom to cut with the tool.

You could cut out a pocket, then V-Carve around the edge?

.......I think I just got it.....you want a roughing toolpath for your V-Carving? :oops:

tauscnc

Post by tauscnc »

Yes! that is a better way to describe what I want....a roughing toolpath for V carving. You got it buddy!

I can't pocket it since I don't know the max depth and also because the depth keeps changing depending on the drawing. I think it would be a nice feature...make the cutting a bit quicker.

taus

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You could rough with a ballnose bit.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop