3D Machinist

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi All,

This is an interesting thread and your questions have got us thinking about what can be achieved by creating the profile cutout in VCarve Pro rather than the machinist package.

Creating the profile toolpaths in VCarve Pro gives the option of using tabs for the profile cutout as requested by Paul above and also deleting the waste material to get a better preview.

I've attached a couple of screen shots of a fish from Vector Art 3D simulated in VCarve Pro. The tabbed profile cutout was generated in VCarve Pro (which means you can drag the tabs to exactly where you want them and use 3d tabs as shown here).

Cheers

Brian
Attachments
FishWithTabs.jpg
Fish model with tabs added in VCarve Pro

[CLICK THUMBNAIL TO SEE LARGER IMAGE]
(158.76 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
FishNoTabsDeleteWaste.jpg
Fish model completely profiled out and then with the waste material deleted

[CLICK THUMBNAIL TO SEE LARGER IMAGE]
(116.92 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

Paul_n
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PR96

Post by Paul_n »

Brian.....

That's the ticket !!! I never thought about 'Pro', I was trying
to do it all inside 'Machinist'...... I'll give it a shot !!

Thanx Again

Paul N

Mike Kelly
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by Mike Kelly »

Dave, I assume your computer has a USB port? Go get a USB Flash memory stick and forget about floppies. Get the largest one you can afford. Fry's had a 2GB for $49.99 with a $20 rebate and a 512MB for $15.99 with a $7 rebate this week. Lots cheaper than floppies and a bunch more convenient. Transfer large pictures or files with ease. Plug it in and it works like a charm.

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2010 Shop Bot PRS Alpha 18"Z

Post by dmidkiff »

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The shop PC does have a USB port but it will not read Memorex travel drive 256MB. I just assumed this is the same as Flash memory stick. If it is not then I will give it a try. Could you reply again and let me know if these are different animals or not. If I could transfer without floppy I would be happy Botter. :D

Dave

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Mike it may be you have an old usb 1 port. While they work with some USB 2 products they have problems with others. I think you can get a USB 2 card for about 15 bucks online. Simple plug and play instalation. Then you should be good to go.

Mike Kelly
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by Mike Kelly »

That is what I was referring to. Don't know why it wouldn't function. Refer to Kimon's post just previous. My old Dell 450MHZ machine seems to work with both, but maybe some USB 2.0 devices won't work in older machines. Look for a USB 1.0 device and try it. They should be real cheap if you can find one.

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmidkiff »

Mike and Kimon,

Thanks for the reply. I will give the USB 1.0 a try if I can find one.

Thanks again
Dave

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Just a quick note:

The Memorex travel drive should be compatible with USB 1.1. The problem you are most likely having is that you are expecting the same behavior from WinXP and Win98. XP comes with the drivers for USB drives, so all you have to do is stick it in and it works. Win 98 does NOT come with these drivers, so you have to download them and install them before the drive will work. Download the drivers here:

http://www.memorex.com/html/download_so ... 4&SWID=332

Install them onto your Win 98 machine. It should work fine after that (and it's free).

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmidkiff »

Mike, Kimon and Jeremy,

Thank you so much for the help. Sorry it has been so long for an update. I spent all last week moving logs to a central location for sawmill. (last year hurricane Rita) and most of this week getting ready for a business expo. I have tried all of your suggestions with no luck. It is probably something that I am doing wrong but I evan tried the driver install twice with no luck. I think I will just upgrade the shop PC. That should do the trick.

Thanks again for the help. This forum and software are the greatest!!

Dave

Billt

Post by Billt »

Probably a bit late... but. I'm willing to bet you have an early version of Windows 98. Try to find a copy of Windows 98SE and upgrade. I had the same problems with my old laptop.

Bil Thorpe