Using different tools with no tool change supported

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Peteg
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HomeMade

Using different tools with no tool change supported

Post by Peteg »

I have a machine running Mach3 that doesn't support using different tools in the same toolpath. So, can anyone tell me if there is a way to use a 6.3mm for a profile cut then a 12mm for a pocket cut, with enough time for me to do a manual tool change.

Cheers

Peter

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Using different tools with no tool change supported

Post by highpockets »

Why not just create 2 separate Toolpath files? Then you have all the time in the world to change tools....
John
Maker of Chips

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Peteg wrote:I have a machine running Mach3 that doesn't support using different tools in the same toolpath. So, can anyone tell me if there is a way to use a 6.3mm for a profile cut then a 12mm for a pocket cut, with enough time for me to do a manual tool change.

Cheers

Peter

For future reference, you aren't suppose to multi post the same question in multiple forums. Kinda annoying to some folks.

To your question. Why would you want that?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

You now have two threads going about the same thing, just so you know. Here is my reply to your other post:

"Couple of things,

There is an advantage IMHO with using a profile cut on a pocket. Unless I am becoming really senile there is no spiral ramp option available to finish up the vertical walls.

If the OP is using Mach3 then I would suggest he head on over to Ger21's website and pop for a copy of his most excellent Screenset 2010, he has it for a few other controls too but I am too lazy to go look. Just google up Screenset 2010. What it does is allow for 2 tool touch off plates. One is placed on the workpiece as per normal. The other is located off the work in some known position. When running a job it works as follows:

When the button is pressed the tool advances to the touch off plate on the work and sets a height. Then it goes to where the fixed plate is set up and touches off again. The program then runs the first tool and stops to ask for a tool change. Change the tool. The program then goes to the fixed plate and touches off on it. It does the math required of the difference in tool height and then proceeds to cut with that tool, wash, rinse, repeat. Works really well.

The last time I looked that screen set was $20. It is way, WAY better than the standard Mach screen with other really nice features."
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns