How to save vectors for future use

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
BrianR
Model of CNC Machine: Shopsabre PRO 408

How to save vectors for future use

Post by BrianR »

Hi All, I'm new here, just got a cnc router a 2 months ago. I've cut several letters and wall art that I've imported as adobe illustrator files (.ai). I've usually edited them a bit in vcarve pro, convert to bezier curves so they route smoothly when I enlarge it,also to size certain parts so my tool fits inside letters, etc . I would like to save each vector group for easy future use so I could import several different groups on new file/job. How do I do this easily?

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Re: How to save vectors for future use

Post by bravesoul »

Just do a file Save As for each file group in a seperate crv file, that's what I do. I usually copy a set of vectors to a new file then do a save as.....

Joe

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

IF they are 2D vectors, I usually save each item as an appropriately named EPS. Select vector(s) > Export > EPS
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

What you do NOT want to do is only save the vectors in a format that is recognizable by only one software program. If in the future you get other software for whatever reason it is nice to be able to load them without having to first load them in, then export them, then reload them.

EPS is a good suggestion because it is used by a ton of different programs.

Storage these days is cheap, really cheap, so there is no reason to not save them in both formats.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I save mine in CRV format so I can use them from the clipart tab with previews. Makes building from libraries a lot easier. I do have the complete set of vectors (well into four figures now) backed up in the cloud in both EPS and SVG formats.

BrianR

Post by BrianR »

Thanks for the help, i found the export and that worked. Now how would I save a specific group as crv format and use them from the clipart tab as Adrian mentions? Is there a tutorial video on this?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

BrianR wrote:Thanks for the help, i found the export and that worked. Now how would I save a specific group as crv format and use them from the clipart tab as Adrian mentions? Is there a tutorial video on this?
Start another session of VCarve so you have two copies running and copy/paste the vectors you want from one copy to the other. Then save the new one as whatever you want to call it. Repeat.

To add them to the Clipart tab click the Add Folder button and navigate to the folder where you saved the new CRV files.

BrianR

Post by BrianR »

Thanks much, I'll give that a try. I sure like the idea of being able to see thumbnails of vectors before i pull them in