3d roughing and finishing tool paths

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
mrbill62
Model of CNC Machine: cnc shark

3d roughing and finishing tool paths

Post by mrbill62 »

First of all I haven't done A lot of 3d carving. Generally when doing A roughing tool path is it better to use a end mill or tapered ball nose of the same size?
When doing A finishing tool path does it mater if you specify A ball nose or tapered ball nose will one do A better job? All my ball nose carving bit are tappered

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: 3d roughing and finishing tool paths

Post by Rcnewcomb »

A roughing tool path is it better to use a end mill or tapered ball nose of the same size?
I try to avoid doing roughing, but when I do I choose the largest end mill that yields the desired results.

A roughing pass is needed:
- to avoid breaking my finishing bit
- to clear material so the collet doesn't have a collision
When doing A finishing tool path does it mater if you specify A ball nose or tapered ball nose will one do A better job? All my ball nose carving bit are tapered
If you define your bits as tapered ballnose then the software will adjust the toolpaths near vertical walls. Otherwise, if you told it the bit was a simple ballnose, but put a tapered ballnose in the router/spindle, then you may notice areas where the thicker part of the tapered bit took a bite out of a portion of the vertical wall. Depending on your design it could range from making no difference, to making a visible difference.

It is best to define the tools correctly to reduce unexpected results.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ezurick

Re: 3d roughing and finishing tool paths

Post by ezurick »

Great explanation Rcnewcomb... All of my ball nose tools are not tapered, but it is good to know this for the future.