V Groove

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Timber Wolf
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

V Groove

Post by Timber Wolf »

Let me start with the end goal and then ask how do I get to that point. I have a rectangle with lines spaced out every so often from top to bottom that needs to be a specific depth and then cut 15 degrees up to daylight on each side of the line so when its all cut there is a V shaped groove centered on every line that is 30 degrees. Is there a good 30 degree wood cnc bit that I could just run straight down that line to that depth or can I make this worth with a smaller bit? I'm open to options, I have been doing this on the table saw with a jig but I'm always looking for a way to use the cnc for my projects more often.
Thank you.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: V Groove

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Centurion makes a 30 degree V bit.
Attachments
Vbite30degree.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Also Drillman1's Kyocera;
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/30-degree-angle ... SwPc9W0zMi

We replaced our Vortex with it, and cut quality was the same when tweaked....Not quite as fast as the Vortex liked, but it sounds good for your application?
Welcome!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

There might be an easier way but the only way to do it with a smaller bit that I can think of is to use the vcarve toolpath. That would involve a little maths because you would need to draw a rectangle that was the required finish width & length rather than one vector to cut on.
Wat sort of depth are you cutting to, you don't say in your original post :lol: :lol:

Timber Wolf
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Post by Timber Wolf »

Sorry it’s going to be just under 3/4” deep so I could do the math or sketch it up from a profile view and determine it that way with a rectangle. I may play with that today and see. Thanks.