trouble with cutting scrolls

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
actionexpress
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave hd520

trouble with cutting scrolls

Post by actionexpress »

I am trying to engrave a scroll and I am using V carve pro. I tried a JPG and also BMP files. When I generate a program the cutting path around the curves it produces lines around the outside of it plus the tool depth goes up and down. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
20231207_090504.jpg
20231207_090517.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: trouble with cutting scrolls

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can you upload your .CRV file to the forum?

To upload a file/photo click on the Upload attachment button below the message area
Click on Choose File and select your file
Finally, click on Add the file to upload it to the forum

If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
For screenshots please use the Windows Snipping tool. These are far easier to read than photos taken with your phone.

On many Windows systems you can also use <Windows-key><Shift><S>
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

I guess the curve is not totally smooth. If there is a very insignificant corner it will create a crease in the carve wall that must be cut by the v-bit going up and down.
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

No Problem Here! Traced One half of image/photo then Mirrored and joined vectors into one complete unit. Then Created Toolpaths.

Scroll Carving.png
Using the Vectric Software Image trace adds to the Vectors those vertical lines that are part of the image/photo which would take forever to remove so I just traced out left half the Mirrored it to the other side (Right) then joined the vectors to complete the unit so that Toolpaths could then be applied.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

actionexpress
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave hd520

Post by actionexpress »

I attached the CRV file.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
western scroll border.crv
(318 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

a few things. When you have such a small model, you want to set the material size just large enough to capture it, so you don't waste pixels. So I shrunk the material size way down. Second, you want the resolution higher. You had left it at standard, I upped it in this version to 7 million pixels.
I took the left side of the model and cut it right at the centerline, deleted everything on the right, then mirrored the left to the right. Then I did a "fit curves to vectors" using Bezier and a tolerance of .01 inch, to clean things up.
Apparently you were trying to use a 1/8" ball mill on the V-carve toolpath, I changed that to a 1/4" v-bit.
See if this works for you.
Attachments
western scroll border MOD.crv
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 28 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

litzluth wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:17 am
a few things. When you have such a small model, you want to set the material size just large enough to capture it, so you don't waste pixels. So I shrunk the material size way down. Second, you want the resolution higher. You had left it at standard, I upped it in this version to 7 million pixels.
That only applies to the 3D models. For 2D work it doesn't matter.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman

Post by litzluth »

Interesting, and confusing to me now, because when I opened the OP's original file, and ran the toolpath, it gave me this crude, heavy pixilated depiction (so bad it was hard to even make out the outline), and when I changed the settings, it appeared normal.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

If you open the original, change the resolution, recalc the toolpaths and preview you can see there is no change. Your toolpath preview resolution may be playing some part.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

litzluth wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:26 pm
Interesting, and confusing to me now, because when I opened the OP's original file, and ran the toolpath, it gave me this crude, heavy pixilated depiction (so bad it was hard to even make out the outline), and when I changed the settings, it appeared normal.
If you have a small design on a large piece of material and a low preview quality you can get a very pixelated preview. That won't affect the actual cut (unlike the similar issue with 3D model resolution) it's just the toolpath preview itself. You adjust the Preview Simulation Quality on the Toolpaths menu.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things is not quite the same.

We're going to have difficulties diagnosing "problems" depicted in the photo in the original post. The CRV file posted is not in the same state as what was when it was used to create the "bad" toolpath image in the first post. Here's an in image of the file's toolpath preview in the CRV file:

not the same.jpg

No artefacts. I wonder if the original photo is of a toolpath using a v-bit instead of the ball end in the CRV file.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman

Post by litzluth »

Thanks Adrian and Steve, makes sense now.