Real Size Printing?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro

Real Size Printing?

Postby johnelle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:07 pm

I am using Vcarve for a bandsaw project which means I have to have the output print at 100% scale. Everything I have tried (including Adobe .pdf output) is scaled. I have tried poster print, orientations, etc. It always scales it at some random amount.

Am I going to have to use Illustrator for this project? I hope not because it takes hours to learn enough Illustrator to do a simple design.
johnelle
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Groton MA, USA
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Re: Real Size Printing?

Postby adze_cnc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:04 pm

This gets asked often. For the the last such thread: https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31670&p=229021&hilit=pdf#p229021

Adrian's final comment might be what you are looking for.
User avatar
adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:08 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Real Size Printing?

Postby Rcnewcomb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:32 pm

If you have a printer that understands HPGL then the Generic HPGL post processor may work for your purpose.
- Randall Newcomb
User avatar
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 3592
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:54 am
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Model of CNC Machine: GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Real Size Printing?

Postby Adrian » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:53 pm

johnelle wrote:I am using Vcarve for a bandsaw project which means I have to have the output print at 100% scale. Everything I have tried (including Adobe .pdf output) is scaled. I have tried poster print, orientations, etc. It always scales it at some random amount.

Am I going to have to use Illustrator for this project? I hope not because it takes hours to learn enough Illustrator to do a simple design.

Check your settings in the PDF reader you're using as you should be able to print at 100% scale no problem with a PDF file exported from VCarve. A common issue is overlooking margin/header/footer settings.
User avatar
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
 
Posts: 9795
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Real Size Printing?

Postby ngh » Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 pm

My methodology to print an actual size representation on my inkjet printer:

I use is LibreOffice Draw (part of the free LibreOffice suite) and print in 100% scale.

My small CNC is about A4 sized (200 x 300mm) or (12 x 8 inches), so a normal A4 page is very close.

I export the vectors as a .svg file out of VCarve.
Then I open the .svg via LibreOffice.
I format my page to the exact sizing I am using (200 x 300mm).
then I print at 100% scale and no margins.

So far everything has lined up perfectly to my actual cuts.

This probably will only work for the smaller size jobs.

Hope this helps.

ngh. 8)
ngh
Vectric Apprentice
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro

Re: Real Size Printing?

Postby ezurick » Wed May 08, 2019 8:10 am

Sorry for the dumb question, but s a newbie I'd like to know.... why would you do this? I mean if you have a lettering carved on wood from vcarve... why would you need a inkjet print of it? Just curious.
~ Ed
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: Real Size Printing?

Postby martin54 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:43 pm

ezurick wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but s a newbie I'd like to know.... why would you do this? I mean if you have a lettering carved on wood from vcarve... why would you need a inkjet print of it? Just curious.


The OP was asking about a bandsaw project so something that has been designed in Vcarve & then a paper template printed which is then stuck on the piece of material for bandsaw cutting :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
martin54
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Crossgates, Scotland
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Re: Real Size Printing?

Postby ezurick » Sat May 11, 2019 11:06 am

martin54 wrote:
ezurick wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but s a newbie I'd like to know.... why would you do this? I mean if you have a lettering carved on wood from vcarve... why would you need a inkjet print of it? Just curious.


The OP was asking about a bandsaw project so something that has been designed in Vcarve & then a paper template printed which is then stuck on the piece of material for bandsaw cutting :lol: :lol: :lol:




Aah! got it. Guess I missed about the bandsaw. Thanks for explaining Martin.
~ Ed
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040


Return to VCarve - Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LittleGreyMan and 4 guests