90 degree array with multiple angles

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Blown406
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 2/840

90 degree array with multiple angles

Post by Blown406 »

I am not sure what the correct definition is, therefore I am not able to find what I want even if it exists. I will try and explain what I am attempting to do and hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

If you take the capital letter L and you were looking straight down on it like viewing it on the screen. I want to make the base cut in a 1" piece of wood, so I start out with a flat surface 3/4" down from the surface of the material. Now I want to start taking small cuts approx. .005 at a time up from there. I want to move up (y-axis) and to the right different amount, but always moving the Z-axis .005 up each pass. For instance, right .007 (x-axis) / up .0035 (y-axis) continue that same steps for 1/2" and then change the right steps ( x-axis) to .000 and the up step (X axis} to .005 until I have reached the surface height of the material. What I am trying to do is create a double compound angle for another piece of wood to fit into. I am using VCarve Pro and I do not have a 4,5, or 6 way head, so by decreasing the cut out coming up, I should be able to create the step needed. I hope all this makes sense and is not I greatly apologize.
Randy W Benetti, Sr.
KG7TIF

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: 90 degree array with multiple angles

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can you post a photo or drawing of what you are looking for?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Blown406
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 2/840

Post by Blown406 »

That is part of the problem, I don't really have a good example, but I will attempt to explain what it is I am trying to do. If you are familiar with boat design, there are intersections where 3 separate pieces come together to create a joint along the bottom outside edge of the boat. Because the angles change as you move forward or backward along the length of the boat, so do the angles. If you can visualize the chine (the piece that runs front to back on the bottom outside edge of the boat) intersecting with a rib (which runs vertical or up from the chine for the side of the boat) and a stringer (which runs across the bottom of the boat). The joint I am working on is where all 3 pieces intersect. Since the angle between the Chine and the rib is less than 90 degrees, the cut would have to start out at the bottom and move outwards as you moved up in order to get the angle (backward if you will). Small increments of say .005 would provide a smooth enough surface for gluing. The 2nd problem is I can't seem to figure out how to post or attach any pictures or illustrations on here that I have?
Randy W Benetti, Sr.
KG7TIF

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

You can make pockets with a tapered bottom using a series of parallel lines and the fluting toolpath. You might also be able to create the cut you need with the moulding toolpath. You'll need a cross sectional view of it though.

What you want to do may be simpler though if you have a way to clamp your parts at an angle under the bit. I do complex compound angle cuts frequently using an adjustable angle jig which I can clamp parts onto at any angle. My jig: http://4dfurniture.blogspot.com/2016/04 ... mping.html

4D