Tapered Pockets

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
ronald44181000
Model of CNC Machine: 4 Azis CNC Router

Tapered Pockets

Post by ronald44181000 »

Does anyone here know of a Video Presentation that will show me how to Design and Tool Path a Tapered Pocket on a Rotary Axis? I have a Form Tool for adding Splines to Pool Cues and need to have multiple cuts on a rotary tapered piece beginning in the center of the workpiece to one of the ends that varies in depth from 1/8th of an inch to 3/8ths of an inch. These splines will then be filled in with custom designed splines to give a 6 point spline around the circumference of the pool cues. I can accomplish this fairly easily with a continuous cutting depth, but can't figure out how to Taper the Depth.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Tapered Pockets

Post by SteveNelson46 »

This training video may help. However, it's for Aspire and uses a 2-rail sweep.

https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... deo_id=106
Steve

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The fluting toolpath may be what you are looking for
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ronald44181000
Model of CNC Machine: 4 Azis CNC Router

Post by ronald44181000 »

I tried the Fluting Tool Path method, but even though the Manual states that it will create a Taper. It didn't appear to do so, though the Spline Cuts looked pretty good. Will have to give them a try on my machine to see if they're what I was looking for.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

If you can make a 3D model of the tapered blank, then you can select "project toolpath onto 3D model" for the pocket cut.
And if you can generate a preview of toolpaths that represents your tapered blank you CAN make a component from the toolpath preview. Use Model/Create component from.../Create component from toolpath preview.

4D