V carve flat area removal

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro

V carve flat area removal

Postby wcw7398 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:40 pm

I'm carving a fairly intricate v carve and need to remove a substantial amount of flat area. I'm using V Carve Desk Top v9.5. When I check the box that allows for flat area removal bit selection the calculate button goes gray indicating that for reasons I'm not understanding I can't use this operation.

I've done this many times before on other projects. By way of troubleshooting I have tied selecting different bits for both v carving and flat area removal but the result is the same. I've also changed my depth of cut to see if that changed anything, but it did not.

There is no way I can remove this much flat with a v bit. As you can imagine, 115 hours is time prohibitive
wcw7398

Model of CNC Machine: X Carve 1000

Re: V carve flat area removal

Postby Rcnewcomb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:36 pm

A screenshot and/or the file would be helpful to diagnose the issue.
- Randall Newcomb
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: GCnC/WinCNC

Postby adze_cnc » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:58 pm

A screenshot showing this happening after you select you flat clearing bit would be most useful.

The Calculate button does become disabled when I select the flat area checkbox but it is immediately restored once I select a flat clearing bit.
adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Postby ezurick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Is it possible that the tool you are selecting for the flat area removal is too large for the area? Normally the program would just warn you and remove the toolpath for that tool. But I've never seen the calculate button grey out. I am kinda new, so that doesn't mean it can't.
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Postby wcw7398 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 pm

I'd like to apologize to all of you who took the time to respond. I've been out of pocket for a while and couldn't readily respond.

After reviewing your comments I went back and reworked my steps. Alas, operator error (read as nincompoopery) was in fact the culprit.

It seems to me that in the past when I have chosen the flat area clearance option my previous selection was used as a default and I have simply gone about my business. Now when I choose it there is nothing selected and the compute option is grayed out until something is selected. In short, it's working perfectly. I must have either mis- remembered or am completely mistaken. Both options are highly plausible.

Thanks so much for help and taking the time to respond. I appreciate it greatly and will try in the future to be a better forum attendee.
wcw7398

Model of CNC Machine: X Carve 1000

Return to VCarve - Tips and Tricks