TYPES OF HOLDDOWNS

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Mike Kelly
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by Mike Kelly »

Another idea for hold downs on the table are the double clamp guides from Woodcraft.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5819
They come in 36", 50" and 54" versions. Here are two old 36" versions on my 24" surface for holding small items.
Attachments
ShopBot6 (450 x 600).jpg
(49.56 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
ShopBot3 (600 x 450).jpg
(35.94 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

FastCote

Post by FastCote »

A nice cheap option is T-Track and stop blocks.
Attachments
T-Track.JPG
(83.88 KiB) Downloaded 512 times

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Hey Mike, how do you like your benchtop shopbot. Mine was just delivered last week, it's all set and ready to make sawdust. I see you have a dust collector set up. I haven't gotten that far yet. What do you have for a dust collector and how do you like it?

Mike Kelly
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by Mike Kelly »

Phil, I have just finished installing it (2 weeks ago). I have an Oneida 1.5 HP model that I have had about 6 years now. It works real good on most tools. The router is always finding ways to not work real well like near the edge where it looses effectiveness.

Here is a picture of my mod for the Z Zero Plate connection. I added a bananna plug recepticle for plugging in the Z Zero Plate.

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

I made these clamps after I ran into a metal clamp (with my most expensive bit of course). They screw into my MDF spoil board and provide so much holding power that they can dent many materials. I use a pad if the material is soft.

The screws leave little dimples at the surface of the mdf but these are easily flattened out with a couple of light strokes with a small hand plane. The plane blade glides on the flat part of the spoil board but it cuts off the screw dimples.

These clamps move the screws back from the material to provide an addition margin of safety. (It's been over a year since I ran into that clamp, so it's just a matter of time before I cut though one of these.) The clamps are also very low profile to let the dust skirt ride over them.

Did I mention CHEAP !!!

Paul Z
Attachments
IMG_3061verysmall.jpg
(25.92 KiB) Downloaded 532 times

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Nice and simple design! I like it a lot!