To small of objects

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
bigforkg
Model of CNC Machine: xcarve

To small of objects

Post by bigforkg »

Is there a way of removing all objects that are below a certain size? In other words, if I want all objects and shapes less than 1/8"x1/8" removed is there away of doing it in a few key stokes or on import? Im Tired of doing one at a time or having the machine wast time cutting something so mall it has not effect on the quality of my piece.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: To small of objects

Post by Adrian »

Where are those pieces coming from? Really they should be eliminated at source. If they're coming from tracing bitmaps automatically then you can adjust the settings to reduce/eliminate the creation of small rectangles etc. Also, in some circumstances, the fit curves to vectors tool can tidy things up.

You can select all pure circles that are of a certain size but there's no automatic way of selecting other types of shapes by size.

You shouldn't need to do them one at a time though unless they're spread all over the place. Drag selecting should get a bunch in one go.

bigforkg

Post by bigforkg »

I Purchased a file set. Yes they are all over the drawing.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Might be quicker to select everything or drag select an area and then, while holding down the shift key, click on the selected vectors that you want to keep. That will remove them from the selection so you will end up with all the vectors you want to delete still selected. Then press the Delete key or right click and choose Delete.

If you're worried about deleting something by mistake you could use the Move to Layer command on the right click menu rather than delete and have that layer set to be not visible.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Another approach is to use the Offset Vectors tool.
Select all the vactors
Right-click and use the Copy to New Layer command to put all the vectors to a new layer. Call it something like "Resize" and make it the active layer. I usually give it a different color for the lines.
Select Edit/Selection/Select all Vectors on the Current Layer
Offset inwards by a small amount (like 0.01 inches) and observe if that gets rid of the small island vectors. You can press <Ctrl-Z> and try it again with a different value.
Finally, offset outwards by the same amount.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

bigforkg

Post by bigforkg »

Rcnewcomb wrote:Another approach is to use the Offset Vectors tool.
Select all the vactors
Right-click and use the Copy to New Layer command to put all the vectors to a new layer. Call it something like "Resize" and make it the active layer. I usually give it a different color for the lines.
Select Edit/Selection/Select all Vectors on the Current Layer
Offset inwards by a small amount (like 0.01 inches) and observe if that gets rid of the small island vectors. You can press <Ctrl-Z> and try it again with a different value.
Finally, offset outwards by the same amount.
That did help some. I think these have to many and to far out I may just have to do them one at a time. It also helped me for other thing Ive been doing the hard way.