matching curved pieces

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
zzaaddaazz
Model of CNC Machine: Can Cam B1-44M

matching curved pieces

Post by zzaaddaazz »

so my wife wants a simple yin/yang out of walnut and maple. i drew an 8" circle. then i made a curve from top center to the middle i copied the curve and flipped it over to make an s. then i cut the circle in half, copied the s, joined both half circles to the s's and saved each half to a different layer. i am using a 1/4" endmill to do the cutting. first try i cut on the line. they didn't line up. after inspection i could see that they would line up at about a 1/4" apart. easy fix i thought ,cut on the outside of the line. try #2 and they still don't match. now i am .14" apart. now this has me buffaloed. measure the bit and it"s exactly .25. shouldn"t they match up exactly?thank you in advance

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: matching curved pieces

Post by FixitMike »

Post the file and we can probably figure out what happened.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

zzaaddaazz
Model of CNC Machine: Can Cam B1-44M

Post by zzaaddaazz »

thanks FixitMike. i went to post the file and was looking things over with fresh eyes this morning when i noticed that somewhere along the line i switched the tool to a .125 endmill and used a .25 endmill. there's my difference. i am going to try again tonight after work. i will post my results on here when i'm done. thanks again FixitMike

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

You might want to consider offsetting one or both of the parts inwards by .01" or so. It may work fine to cut them to exact size, but sometimes they fit together better with that tiny offset
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost