An Alternative to the Bandsaw for Removing Inlay Backing

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Re: An Alternative to the Bandsaw for Removing Inlay Backing

Post by laflippin »

Thanks for the detailed comments about your experience with Rockler cyanoacrylate glues, Scott...I'll give the medium CA a try to see how it compares with TB III. Your story about TB II sounds weird, like something from the 3 Stooges where Curly accidentally substitutes glue for Moe's pancake syrup.... At least w/ TB III, in my experience glued-up pieces are very stable after several hours and fully cured after 12 hours of clamping. Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience with how long TB III glue-ups hold together in pieces like cutting boards over years of use.

Rapph
Model of CNC Machine: Onsrud 194E18D

Post by Rapph »

Sorry for jumping in the middle of your post, but I'm a new user, and I cannot see how to start a new post. Can you tell me how to do that? Also there must be a page of instructions for this forum. How do I get there?

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Rapph wrote:Sorry for jumping in the middle of your post, but I'm a new user, and I cannot see how to start a new post. Can you tell me how to do that? Also there must be a page of instructions for this forum. How do I get there?
Go to the top of the page pick on Board Index. Then pick on the particular group you are interested in. Then pick on post new topic.
Takes a bit to get used to but after a couple of post you will get it.
Pictures are a whole other animal. The forum only allows 2 megabyte file size. So you have to get the file down in size. On the lower right of the screen there is an upload attachement
button pick on that and follow the instructions from there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Rapph wrote:Sorry for jumping in the middle of your post, but I'm a new user, and I cannot see how to start a new post. Can you tell me how to do that? Also there must be a page of instructions for this forum. How do I get there?
I am not sure if there is a page of instructions for the forum as such, maybe there is but not something I have ever seen & don't remember anyone asking in the time I have been a member :lol: :lol:

Is there anything in particular you would like to know about the forum??

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

Getting back to the OP topic, here is yet another alternative for removal of waste backing from a Zank V-Inlay project:

Poke around in the shop until you find your 4 1/2" angle grinder, install a cupped #24 carbide wheel, clamp down the project and grind the waste backing off.... this goes very quickly, but be sure to wear a dust mask and eye protection. Note, angle grinders are very aggressive tools and a full 0.1" gap between workpiece surface and the waste backing is very, very handy in order to keep from accidentally gouging the workpiece.