Pocket tip

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Jim_Nestor
Vectric Apprentice

Pocket tip

Post by Jim_Nestor »

Maybe this was known but I stumbled upon it. I needed to pocket mdf to receive a plate. The plate was a tapered rectangle with rounded corners so measuring and creating vectors was iffy. I used my best guess, cut the pocket and it was a tad too small. Then using the same file I entered (-) 0.01 in the pocket allowance box, recalculated and ran the cut. Of course it cut air, but the last pass enlarged the pocket 0.01 all around and the plate dropped right in. The pocket was enlarged 0.02 than original so bear this in mind when determining the pocket allowance. Hope this helps someone. Jim
DA61F1F6-7EA8-4291-84AD-427EF3DA6B57.jpeg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Pocket tip

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you, Jim. I’m sure that tip will be helpful for many.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I was thinking others might chime in with the alternate methods of enlarging a pocket. I’ll go ahead and share one then...

Create an Offset vector 0.01” larger than the original pocket vector. Run a Profile Toolpath on the Inside of that new vector with the same bit and set at the same depth as the pocket. That way, no air cutting to wait for. Just a single pass all around.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

On a flat object like that, You should be able to scan it and open the jpg. Measure something easy (like a circle hole) then resize the vectors so the hole is exact. I could be wrong.
Jim Williams

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

jimwill2 wrote:On a flat object like that, You should be able to scan it and open the jpg. Measure something easy (like a circle hole) then resize the vectors so the hole is exact. I could be wrong.
Or put a ruler in the same scan
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Jim_Nestor
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Jim_Nestor »

Thanks for the replies and fixes. I will try those next time. My tip was putting a negative value in the allowance box and it worked. Fun (most of the time) to experiment :wink:

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

My document scanner has the option to save as a PDF. When it does so, it saves at 1:1, which is very handy for scanning and tracing smaller items. Also, you don't have to create another vector. Just run a inside profile using the same vector as the pocket, and select your offset from that menu. I use this process often for pocketing for jigs to sneak up on that tight fit.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Here's a picture that shows how positive and negative allowances work for both pockets and profiles.
Allowance Cuts (2016_04_03 23_57_58 UTC).jpg
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.