Using up leftover LED strips

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Using up leftover LED strips

Post by gkas »

I've been making acrylic back lit night lights for the grandkids. I usually buy this light kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XK ... UTF8&psc=1 from Amazon because it has the controller and a nice power supply, etc. Except, after the project is complete, I have about 15 feet of 5050 LEDs. I sorted out my junk drawer (cabinet :roll: ) and separated all of the 12V wall warts. Since I'm terrible at miniscule soldering, I went to Amazon for some connectors. I figured if I soldered all the R+G+B connections from a tab together, then a single 12V, I'd get white. Yippee! I was correct.

I bought these connectors at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097 ... UTF8&psc=1. If you cut the cable in half, you can get two solderable connections.

The trick to rewiring these is which end to use after you cut off a strip of LEDs. One end of the strip is R-G-B-12V and the other is 12V-R-G-B. Strip the weatherproof plastic from the end, connect the connector, and you're ready to go. DO NOT forget to test before soldering it all up. They are finicky to get in the connector, and you have to make sure you have the correct polarity.

Now I can use up all the leftover LEDs in other projects where I want a little light. This started out by building a light bar for the top of my 3D printer.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Using up leftover LED strips

Post by Xxray »

There is a store called 5 below, geared towards teens and kids. They do have some nice LED kits for under $5 which included 3ft of multicolor leds, a remote and IR receiver. They are wired for USB power but can likely easily be converted to AC if desired.
Doug

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Their web site doesn't show LED kits, but that does not mean they don't carry them in the stores. Looks like a fun place to check out.

tnx....

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

They got em, the remotes are branded "Vibe" and the LED strips are black with waterproof coating.
Being USB powered itself might come in handy for certain things vs AC.

Then again, they do seem to change inventory often, worth checking out if you got one by you. I found 3 kits dumpster diving there a couple months ago.

edit: here is a guy who actually posted a comprehensive review of the kit

http://www.clyfaker.com/2018/06/21/vibe ... ive-below/
Doug