Question on Hand Drawn Lines

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro

Question on Hand Drawn Lines

Postby Copper John » Sat May 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my questions:

I'm using VCarve desktop 8.5. I produce a lot of hand drawn images that I then scan, save as a JPEG and bring in thru Import Bitmap for Tracing and at that point they are all single line images. Then when I use the Trace Bitmap tool all the lines appear as double lines. There is always a great deal of unwanted specs that need to be removed thru Node Editing.

My two main questions are: How do I eliminate the second double line and then how do I make the single line bolder so I can have it cut deeper?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.
Copper John
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: Shark 3.0

Re: Question on Hand Drawn Lines

Postby Adrian » Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 pm

The double lines are required if you want to use a vcarve toolpath as you need the inner and outer vectors for that type of toolpath. If you want to use a profile toolpath on a single line you'll need to edit the vectors to remove the ones you don't want. To make a line cut deeper you would specify a deeper cut depth in the toolpath.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Question on Hand Drawn Lines

Postby FixitMike » Sun May 06, 2018 5:38 am

I would like to suggest that you go to Help--Help Contents and read what it says about the Trace Bitmap tool and the VCarve toolpath. It explains how they work in detail to give you a good handle on how they work.

Many of us find it easier to draw vectors over an imported bit map rather than using the Trace Bitmap tool. YMMV

Whenever I trace a bitmap, I next use the Curve Fit-Fit curves to selected vectors--Bezier tool to clean up the tracing.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (modified)

Return to VCarve - Tips and Tricks