Question on Hand Drawn Lines

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Copper John
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 3.0

Question on Hand Drawn Lines

Post by Copper John »

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my questions:

I'm using VCarve desktop 8.5. I produce a lot of hand drawn images that I then scan, save as a JPEG and bring in thru Import Bitmap for Tracing and at that point they are all single line images. Then when I use the Trace Bitmap tool all the lines appear as double lines. There is always a great deal of unwanted specs that need to be removed thru Node Editing.

My two main questions are: How do I eliminate the second double line and then how do I make the single line bolder so I can have it cut deeper?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Question on Hand Drawn Lines

Post by Adrian »

The double lines are required if you want to use a vcarve toolpath as you need the inner and outer vectors for that type of toolpath. If you want to use a profile toolpath on a single line you'll need to edit the vectors to remove the ones you don't want. To make a line cut deeper you would specify a deeper cut depth in the toolpath.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Question on Hand Drawn Lines

Post by FixitMike »

I would like to suggest that you go to Help--Help Contents and read what it says about the Trace Bitmap tool and the VCarve toolpath. It explains how they work in detail to give you a good handle on how they work.

Many of us find it easier to draw vectors over an imported bit map rather than using the Trace Bitmap tool. YMMV

Whenever I trace a bitmap, I next use the Curve Fit-Fit curves to selected vectors--Bezier tool to clean up the tracing.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.