Directionally Challenged

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
offcenter
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

Directionally Challenged

Post by offcenter »

When drawing a line by typing the angle and length, the zero angle begins at "east" and increments counter-clockwise. Is it possible to change those settings? I used Autocad for years, and unit direction was a user defined setting. I can't find any info on this in VCarve.

Thanks

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Directionally Challenged

Post by adze_cnc »

You are right to put east in quotes. But really all makes sense if you remember that we are dealing with mathematical vectors and not a the metaphor of a comapss.

Which see:

https://chortle.ccsu.edu/vectorlessons/ ... h05_2.html

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

But why does the icon for the rotation tool show the arrow in the negative angle direction ?
Rotate.PNG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

I don't believe there is one. Vector geometry follows Cartesian coordinate angles which have zero degrees positive in X to the right (your east) and increasing counterclockwise. This is one of the main differences between "paper" and machining. On paper there is no negative impact for user defined angles. Not so for machining vectors.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

offcenter wrote: I used Autocad for years, and unit direction was a user defined setting.
If you use the default settings in AutoCAD, the rotation is the same, which is the correct way. :D
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

offcenter
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

Post by offcenter »

adze_cnc, I put east in quotes only for the question I posted.

Sometimes, I like to enter lines by a starting point, the angle and length of each line. I'm getting used to 90, 0, 270 and 180 (north, east, south and west respectively), but just thought that if there was a way to change it, I'd do it. I've found other shortcuts or settings in VCarve that have made design easier and was hoping there would be one for this. If not, no big deal.