312th ALS challenge coin

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Mofosheee

312th ALS challenge coin

Post by Mofosheee »

Hope that I'm posting in the proper board index with this one.
As an new and infrequent user / owner of VCarve Pro, am I expecting too much in generating code that will replicate the above file with desired diameter of 1.75" and .1875" thichness.

Converted jpeg to a bmp in attempt to create vectors.............. end result were vectors of poor resolution. Any help appreciated. Thank you
Attachments
312 MAS challenge coin front.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: 312th ALS challenge coin

Post by Adrian »

Why did you convert the jpg to bmp? You can import and trace either format.

However you'd be better of creating that sort of thing by hand using the picture as a guide. Plenty of fonts close enough match for the lettering so you don't need to worry about that. The rest of it is simple shapes with repeats so you only to need draw one section and the mirror/copy the others.

The Tips and Tricks section of the support site has some great videos on tracing - http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tricks/select.php - Tracing Images 4 and Tracing Images 6 would be the most relevant.

Mofosheee

Post by Mofosheee »

The reason that I converted the image to the bitmap format was that VCarve supports .bmp files which in my mind I though would allow faster editing and creations.
Using the picture as a guide and using the import/tract technique, I did what you recommended using c@mb@m (see attachment)

Just looking for an easier way to skin a cat. Thought VCarve would be faster
Need to get more familiar with the VCarve editing! Will follow tips you provided

Thank you for responding
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It all depends on the software you're used to. I would be miles faster making it in VCarve than anything else as that's what I know best.

VCarve supports the import of several bitmap formats including BMP, JPG, PNG, GIF and TIFF so there wasn't a need to convert. Converting can degrade the image which makes tracing harder.

It's always best to get images in a vector rather than bitmap format where possible and then you don't need to bother with tracing at all. I always try to get my clients to supply artwork in EPS or SVG format.

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Well, it looks pretty good so far...joe

Mofosheee

Post by Mofosheee »

As a creature of habit, I hate learning new software..........
Attachments
C5 progress.JPG

coreyperez
Model of CNC Machine: SMW3D R7

Post by coreyperez »

I've tried to see if I could get a high quality vector out of your image, but was unable. I think it could be a combination of the background nearly matching the coin, in addition to shadows.

That being said. When I was doing my military logos, I ended up on fiverr.com and had somebody do a vector trace. I've done it in Adobe Illustrator, but I was looking for somebody to pickup the workload and I'd throw a few dollars their way.

By no means am I suggesting a specific person, but I used: https://www.fiverr.com/kopralzz and he produced an excellent vector from a .bmp. I've had him do a few images for me, and he is who I'll go to in the future.

(Former TSgt, now CW3 :mrgreen: )

Corey
Attachments
BN_Logo.png

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When your looking for images for any sort of job then as Adrian has already said try to get them in vector format if possible, if not & you have to use something in bitmap format then look for a BMP or TIFF first, these will generally give you a better auto trace result. JPEG should really be your last option for any sort of work like this. Learning to trace by hand is a skill that can be worth taking the time to learn, I would have just redrawn that from scratch same as Adrian would have :lol: :lol:

Converting a jpeg to bmp won't make things any easier or faster as Adrian has already said, once an image has been saved as a jpeg then that is as good as it is ever going to get unless you have some decent photo editing software you can use to make a few changes :lol: :lol: