Changing file directory for storage

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Devlin
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC 4848Pro

Changing file directory for storage

Post by Devlin »

My C drive is getting full. I install my programs on my second D drive. VCarve did allow me to install the program on D. But when the data files are loaded there is no choice and they go onto the C drive. Any hints out there.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Changing file directory for storage

Post by FixitMike »

Certainly you must have files in your C drive that could be moved to the D drive to open up space. For example the contents of the pictures and the documents folders.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you right click on any of the standard Windows folders such as Pictures, Documents,Download etc and choose properties you will get the option to move the location of the folder. That won't help with the Vectric software installing to ProgramData and Public Documents but, as Mike says, will free up space for them.

As all the PC's I build these days have a small SSD drive for C: relocating those folders is the first thing I do after installing Windows these days so that everything is written to D: from the outset.

There are ways of moving the Vectric files around using symbolic links but you have to know your way around Windows well to get that working.

johntech
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts

Post by johntech »

It would be nice if there was a config file for the Vectric software so that you can tell it where to save your project files. When you save a file it will automatically go to that directory instead of having to click through to get to your storage directory. I would suggest a path for the Vectric files and one for the cutting files. That way you can store your files to a different drive than C drive without having to click through the directories.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It would be nice if there was a config file for the Vectric software so that you can tell it where to save your project files.
It defaults to the last directory that you saved to. Since my projects are on my E: drive it uses that.
FilePath.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop