Windows 3D Scan

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
stevelod
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Windows 3D Scan

Post by stevelod »

Has anyone tries the new Windows 3D Scan app with an Xbox Kinect? This is only my first try but I would like to find a way to get more detail in the carving.
Attachments
face.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Windows 3D Scan

Post by Adrian »

I remember Vectric posting about scanning with the Xbox a while ago. The conclusion (in later forum posts) was that is was too low a resolution to be much use for anything.

http://vectriclabs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... r-cnc.html

stevelod

Post by stevelod »

I'm going to have to play with this a little. My hope is with the new Windows 3D scan app and some experimenting I might be able to get something reasonable. In the blog I see the model was created with 25 frames in 1 second. With the windows app there were a few hundred frames taking about 30 seconds. I love Vectric software and would never use anything else but that being said, with the 3D Scan app Windows is compiling the model instead of Vcarve or Aspire. I'm thinking the lighting might be one part of the problem. I also am going to try rigging up a way to rotate either the camera or the subject in a more steady movement than me spinning in a slow circle on an office chair. I'll post my results if I come up with anything.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Yes you're right. I had forgotten that one of the issues at the time was that it wasn't integrated at the correct level in Windows and they were waiting for it to be so before doing more with it. I guess that got put on the backburner but it looks from other sites I've just visited that things have improved massively with the Windows side of it.

stevelod

Post by stevelod »

That's what I wanted to hear. You must have used better search words because I wasn't finding hardly anything on the subject. I've never played video games but maybe my new Xbox Kinect might be my favorite Xmas present this year. I should also mention that the Windows apps are only compatible with Win 10. I'll do some testing and post what I find. If anyone's already tried the app and has any info I'm all ears.