Interlocking circles

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
JeffWimer
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Interlocking circles

Post by JeffWimer »

IMG_1340 (1).JPG
Ring box.JPG
I saw the attached image online and thought I would give a shot at recreating it in Vcarve Pro.

For the corners, I created circles that are every 1/8" increment. that way when I select say the 1-1/4" and carve to the inside it will carve down to the 1-1/8" for the bottom half. for the top half i carve to the out side of the 1-1/4" up to the 1-3/8". I have been successful at by carving the 1-1/4", 1-1/2, 1-3/4 and 2" diameter either on the inside, for the bottom, or the outside of the line for the top. My question is: how would one go about creating some gap so that the top and bottom slide together smoothly? How much gap should I place?

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Interlocking circles

Post by 4DThinker »

if your end goal is to create a gap for glue room then -.005 or so should do.
You'll have a great deal of friction between mating halves when you try and slide them together. If one side swells/shrinks just a bit different than the other the parts may resist sliding past each other any way.

I'm a fan of similar mental challenges. I'll warn you the apart halves will look far more interesting than the together joint. People will WANT to see the joint apart. Use very straight grained wood, or you may have sections of some arcs breaking off.

JeffWimer

Post by JeffWimer »

Is there any setting that automatically offsets from a line, to give the slip fit I am looking for?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Jeff....
There are a number of tools you could use, some more elegant than others with varying degrees of effort required. I would do this by measuring the bit and entering it .010 smaller than it actually is. This will remove .005 from both the male and female parts, using one set of the original vectors.

In order for this to work, you must accurately measure the bit by cutting a slow feedrate .100 deep slot and measure that. Enter that number, less .010" as the tool diameter, setup your toolpaths (conventional) and you should be good to go. If you are going to add finish you may have to increase the overcut
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

JeffWimer

Post by JeffWimer »

Thank-you Gary, this is what I was hoping to find. Something simple.