Picture Frame with 45D Miters

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
TheReasearcher
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Picture Frame with 45D Miters

Post by TheReasearcher »

So i have a shapeoko3, i want to do a picture frame but not out of a single piece of wood.
My thoughts are that I want to cut pieces with a 45Degree miter on it using the CNC.

So if i want to put a 8.5x11 (or larger) image in the frame as shown in the attached screenshot.
For the miters i just drew a straight line and rotated it 45D but it doesnt seem to work quite right. There is a reason i want to do it all on the CNC so i dont want to cut the miters on a saw.

Any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.
cnc picture frame with miter.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Picture Frame with 45D Miters

Post by Adrian »

If you want the inner part of the frame to be 8.5 x 11 then you need to draw an outer rectangle the desired width of your frame larger than that (offset tool is the easiest way) and then split it into 4 using the scissors tool and the join with straight line tool.

At least that's one way to draw it. As is often the case with this sort of thing there are many different ways to do it.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I created guide lines for the 8.5x11 picture just for reference I then drew a square 1/4" smaller 8.25x10.75. This gives a lip in the frame for the picture. Next I used the offset to create a square 1.25" larger than the inside square, this is the outside of the frame. Then using the node edit tool I cut both circles at the corners. Next I selected two parallel lines and used the "Join/Close vectors with straight line" twice on each pair of parallel line to create a close vector.
Picture Frame.crv
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
John
Maker of Chips

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

You could use the moulding tool path to create the shape and size and a profile tool path to cut it out. Then you could use different profile cutouts for different lengths.
Attachments
Frame-Moulding TP.crv
(198 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Frame-TP.png
Frame example.png
Steve