New to CNC'ing

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
bearcat
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

New to CNC'ing

Post by bearcat »

Hello y'all! My first post on here. I recently purchased a Piranha FX and run a small woodworking business on the side. I have primarily make knives and cutting boards. Im looking to start doing inlays in my cutting boards. After several attempts I have go the fit down pretty well, sometime 2 hundos of allowance in the pocket works sometimes it doesn't quite work. Any help there would be appreciated. My question is one more involved in testing the inlays before I cut into the boards I've worked hard on already. Does anyone have a specific type of wood they use to test cut before they cut into a workpiece? One that would give a good test fit and not overly dull bits? Thanks everyone in advance! Also any tips you think would help me feel free to share!

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: New to CNC'ing

Post by Xxray »

If you want to do inlays with truly sharp corners [impossible simply using the embedded inlay feature in aspire] and fine details [next to impossible], then read up on this technique.

Monster thread
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=564

Short walkthrough

http://www.vectric.com/support/training ... inlay.html
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: New to CNC'ing

Post by scottp55 »

Most people will cut the male inlays first and finish them to their satisfaction....THEN cut the female with NO offset...test the male piece in hand....and then gradually add offset until the fit is Exactly the way you want on the first one....then save that toolpath FOR THAT DAY and go into production mode.
Humidity/wood species/etc. changes sometimes means that the offset will change from day to day, but once you get the first one, you're usually all set for that day.
I have a dozen male "Butterfly" wedges all precut and in a baggie waiting for the next crack in the wood I want to stop from spreading.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.